Photo

Does a Pentax K mount to Nikon F lens adapter exist?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

I'm doing some research on 35mm SLR lens mounts and adapters so that my girlfriend and I can share a lens system. She's a still photographer and is dead set on a Pentax K10D, and while I think it's a great camera, I'm not that impressed with the Pentax lens system (at least the lenses with an aperture ring). I'm trying to put together an HD camera package that incorporates a 35mm adapter, preferably the Cinevate Brevis35. It's not available in a K mount flavor (just M42, which I'd rather stay away from), but will use Nikon lenses, which seem to be the best for my purposes.

So, my question is - is there such a thing as a lens adapter that will allow me to put Nikon lenses on a Pentax SLR body? If so, I'm in business, and I can get a couple of Pentax AF lenses for her, and then a good range of Nikon lenses to share between us (she shoots manual focus/aperture most of the time, so lens/body interface shouldn't matter much).

If not, back to the drawing board...

I've searched for a while for such an adapter, but have come up empty, so the outlook is not good. It seems easy enough to use Nikon F lenses on Canon EF bodies, which may be my back-up plan. I'd just get a Nikon digital SLR and be done with it, but neither of us really like Nikon cameras much, just the lenses.

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi
I've never seen one, and I don't believe such adapter is possible even though the FFD on Nikon is about 1mm longer than Pentax K. I think more clearence is needed for the lugs of the bayonet to attach. The Leica screw mount FFD is exactly 1mm longer than the Leica M mount, and works wonderfully with an adapter, but this was designed so from the beginning.

#3 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

No, there is not one, nor is there an ability to make one.

However, I would suggest looking into Pentax M42 lenses, which can adapt to both the K-mount *and* the Nikon F-mount.

#4 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

Thanks very much, Mike & Nate! I guess it's time to look into other options.

I figured that there was a reason that I wasn't seeing these adapters through any of my searches, while the Pentax M42 adapters and the Canon EF to Nikon F lens adapters kept popping up. I did find a chart that explained the clearance issues, and it seemed to suggest what you mentioned, Mike, but I wasn't sure.

No, there is not one, nor is there an ability to make one.

However, I would suggest looking into Pentax M42 lenses, which can adapt to both the K-mount *and* the Nikon F-mount.

Thanks, Nate - though I'm a little iffy on M42 lenses. I've owned several, which I collected for a bit when I had an old Pentax ZX-M 35mm SLR. While there are some great ones, I'm hoping to go with newer lenses, both to take advantage of advances in lens design, but also to avoid the hassles of the used market. At an old job I used to inspect, grade and price used camera equipment for consignment and resale, and I became very conscious of the "time bombs" present in some lenses in the form of fungus, coating separation, etc. I also don't like the idea of being limited to a lens system that is no longer being developed.

#5 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

Then why not get new M42 lenses? Phoenix, Schneider, Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Tamron all make brand-new M42 lenses. Also, some russian companies also make them, and are available if you search for them.

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

Then why not get new M42 lenses? Phoenix, Schneider, Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Tamron all make brand-new M42 lenses. Also, some russian companies also make them, and are available if you search for them.

Pentax intoduced the K-mount after or about the same time they brought out SuperMultiCoating, so the last batch of Pentax M42s are the same as the first batch of K-mounts.

Also I understand that in the 60s, while Nikons were quite popular in the US, Pentaxes were the prefered camera in Europe.
Maybe that was because of the availiability of M42 Zeisses which the photographers might have already owned.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale, 07 February 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#7 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

There are a few reasons that I'm not personally interested in these lenses. Cost is a major factor for me, so I'm always concerned with getting the best "bang for the buck" that's out there. While Phoenix offers affordable lenses, in my experience they're of relatively poor quality. Schneider, Zeiss, and Voigtlander typically make excellent quality lenses, but they're beyond the point of diminishing returns, so I would be paying as much as hundreds of dollars more for only slightly greater quality (and in some cases no greater quality) than new Nikon glass, for example. Also, with few exceptions, most of these options tend to be slower than what I'd need for my application, ranging from about f/2.5 to f/4.0 in maximum aperture. There is also a relatively limited array of lenses, many of them specialty-oriented (at least from what I've found in my research) offered in the M42 screw mount from the better quality manufacturers.

Regarding the Tamron lenses, are you referring to the Adaptall mount? If so, those have the same limitations for my purposes, in that they're slower than I'd need (max f/2.5 - f/2.8), and are relatively limited - e.g. there are only 3 primes available, 24mm, 90mm, and 300mm. I'm ideally hoping to build a set of primes somewhere along the lines of 20mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, 135mm, 180mm, maybe 300mm. If I can find a good-quality zoom to replace some of that range, I'll go for it - but that seems unlikely as I'm hoping to stay at about f/2.0 or faster when possible. Granted, the extreme focal lengths, e.g. 20mm, 180mm, 300mm would likely be f/2.8.

My awareness of what's available new in the M42 mount comes mainly from retail sites like B&H Photo, so please let me know if there are lenses that I may have overlooked! I certainly could be missing something, but my research has overwhelmingly pointed me toward building a Canon EF or Nikon F system, the former option being essentially eliminated due to the absence of an aperture ring. Nikon seems the best choice to be, as there is a continuous stream of new lenses being developed, and there are manual focus versions still available brand new by import, or at least through trusted used equipment outfits like KEH.com.

I'm also wary of Russian lenses, as their resale value is questionable, and build quality can be erratic. I've owned a few examples, including the famous 8mm Peleng circular fisheye, and while such lenses are great for certain circumstances, I haven't been that impressed with their practicality as workhorse lenses.

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab