10 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

Why is it every week someone is selling a 40k camera for $1. :-(.
Can't ebay do something....

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=170078964684

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

Why is it every week someone is selling a 40k camera for $1. :-(.
Can't ebay do something....
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=170078964684

I guess you are implying it is a fake auction. Many items that start at 1 dollar actually end up selling for more money than if the auction had a much higher minimum bid. The excitemet of maybe getting something of value really cheap lures bidders.

If that was a real auction, I'd bid a thousand bucks, why not? You get a few more people like me, each one in different economic strata, and suddenly the camera is at 5 grand or 10 grand and now it's a legitmate auction.

The seller has over 200 praises, are you certain it's a fake auction? (Edit note, oops, as pointed out by Lav, the seller actually has zero praises, I mistakenly saw the 229 by the sellers name and assumed it was 229 praises, gasp. As noted below, the seller actually has ZERO praises!)
yeah, it's most likely a fake auction.)

#3 Lav Bodnaruk

Lav Bodnaruk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Director
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

I'd say it is fake only because the seller has 0 (zero) feedback and is selling a camera with nice pics. I mean, he/she bothered to take the nice pics and list it rather well, with a PayPal account and yet has had no previous experience with eBay?

In these kind of cases all you got to do is ask if Local Pick-up is ok? Ask to check the camera out before the auction... I would be 99% sure it is fake auction, but not because of the $1 start. I am a fan of those $1 auctions. I get sucked in, end up watching it for a week cause it keeps floating around $500 mark and then on the last day it reaches hights of $10K and I am right there with them, bidding like an idiot, merely because by now i think i earned to win it no matter what (having spent a week watching it).

$1 bid also reduced listing fees from eBay.... not that it matters much;

Oh and lastly, if you ever think its fake, report report report...

#4 Leslie Bates

Leslie Bates

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

In these kind of cases all you got to do is ask if Local Pick-up is ok? Ask to check the camera out before the auction... I would be 99% sure it is fake auction, but not because of the $1 start. I am a fan of those $1 auctions.

Fulton, Missouri...that would be a good weekend drive from Minneapolis... if I could afford it.

#5 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

Oh these are 100% fake, the photos are from a prior auction.

Usu, they say e-mail me for a buy it now price, user is usu new and zero feedback or a hijacked account that was selling linens and crafts for $5USD and now is selling a 40k cine camera and mags.

I don't know if they're fishing for accounts that can afford 20k bids, or what.

I saw a nice one, you click on the listing and it forwards you to an alternative site with a ebay login screen.
Tricked my Mozilla browser.

Just upsets me that they're not willing to do anything about it. I think the high ticket categories like Cine Cams and Autos get hit the most with this stuff.

Here is one more. In Pottery and Glass category - It's an ARRI 2C for 68.00 and they want you to send them an email :-).

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=190080586764

#6 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

Fake! The real one was sold by a guy in Germany that owned a camerahouse. If I remember it correctly someone from NY bought it.

#7 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

I always start my auctions with a low bid amount, so it doesn't mean he's "selling a $40K camera for a dollar"

MP

#8 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

Theres a Bolex EBM that turns up quite often - its always a 24hr auction and the seller requests that you dont contact them through the ebay system as its 'broken' ... They do this as they have stolen a users identity, if you check the sellers history they will often be very interested in selling embroidery or home crafted hair-pins and not photography related items, they will have suddenly branched into selling expensive audio, photo and musical instruments - all 24hr auctions

#9 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Here's the link to report fraudulent auctions to eBay. They take pretty quick action on fake auctions using hijacked seller's accounts and directing all inquiries and bids off-eBay to an email address.

http://pages.ebay.co.....ue=Continue >

#10 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

If that were true they would have a giant button on the site that said REPORT FRAUD.
However, you spend 15 minutes searching for how to contact them.

MP

#11 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:30 PM

If that were true they would have a giant button on the site that said REPORT FRAUD.
However, you spend 15 minutes searching for how to contact them. MP...

They now (in the USA at least) have a Report This Listing link at the bottom of the listing page. It goes to a multiple-choice area where you can click on what you think is wrong or fraudulent, and it automatically fills in the listing number.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Metropolis Post