Photo

Rutgers Super-8 Film Festival - 2007 Results.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Here is a link to information about this years Rutgers Super-8 Film Festival. Rutgers 2007 Winners list and Festival Dates

There are several familar names on the list. Hopefully they will get a good turnout as that helps the festival go on, which is now in it's 19th year. The films are a mix of both Digital entries and Super-8 entries. I read that they had 210 entries this year and the judges had to whittle down that list to something like 19 finalists.

#2 Sandra Lim

Sandra Lim

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Brighton UK and Toronto Canada

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hi - are there any .mov clips online to see your work?

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

Hi - are there any .mov clips online to see your work?

No, but I'm open to suggestions about who could handle my two requirements, no dropped frames, and the sound stays in sync.

I have already assembled a DV tape with several of my films so in theory that should make the uploading process a bit easier.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

Just thought I'd bump this since the festival is this weekend.

#5 Sandra Lim

Sandra Lim

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Brighton UK and Toronto Canada

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:53 AM

No, but I'm open to suggestions about who could handle my two requirements, no dropped frames, and the sound stays in sync.

I have already assembled a DV tape with several of my films so in theory that should make the uploading process a bit easier.

I think you need to first encode/compress your DV version through the editing software and then stream from your webpage. This is the tutorial I was looking at for this sort of thing from Webmonkey.

Encode and compress:

http://webmonkey.com...l?tw=multimedia

Imbed a Windows/Quicktime media player on your website:

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

I think you need to first encode/compress your DV version through the editing software and then stream from your webpage. This is the tutorial I was looking at for this sort of thing from Webmonkey.

Encode and compress:

Imbed a Windows/Quicktime media player on your website:

Thanks Sandra for the excellent link.

Here is a quote from that link pretty much sums what I have been saying....

"In order to encode a steady sample, it's important to have a well-shot video source. This is why you don't see many MTV-style videos on the web -- the transitions are too fast, rapid camera movement doesn't compress well, and you're likely to have jerky, delayed images, even when compressed at a low frame rate."

However, it's still an excellent link and the next best thing to getting what one desires is to at least get what is the best method currently available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two things I would like to add to the Web Monkey digest. There is consumer analog, and there is professional analog. Sweeping generalities about analog should not be made. Professional analog such as nagra recording for audio, or betacam sp recording for video, are pretty terrific. However, the consumer side of analog, audio cassettes or vhs, is marginal, these two different types of analog, professional versus consumer analog, should not all be clumped into the same category.

One other thing that did not get mentioned which I think is crucial is the concept of outputting a FINISHED NLE edit master to DV tape via firewire, then reinputting that tape master into the computer for purposes of webcasting. The idea being that all of the non-picture and non audio information that is embedded on a NLE time-line are not necessarily needed when one goes to webcast. A tape master option does not work for the author because it would be too time-consuming since they run a business and deal with other people's projects besides their own, but for the rest of us, that extra step is a non issue. Laying back an NLE edit master to DV tape via firewire makes perfect sense as that represents a true picture and sound lock for purposes of webcasting. Then by reincoding that DV tape master into the computer (via firewire) for webcasting the data should actually be as streamlined and possibly more streamlined than having a software program directdly reconform the prior software's time line codecs and compression schemes.

One scenario in which outputing to tape would have the illusion of not being better would be if the output version to tape keeps having glitches while the internal method produces no glitches. But that is just setting yourself up for disappointment because if someone liked your webcast and wanted to air it, you would not own a clean tape version of your edit master to sell. I just want to be clear that I am not talking about DVD creation, that is an entirely different aspect, I'm strictly talking about webcasting.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

CineLab

Opal