2 replies to this topic

#1 jon lawrence

jon lawrence
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

.. I'm a little confused by how some places charge for telecine, for example, Spectra film and video $238 per hour - now does that mean per hour of footage how for how long it takes them to do the telecine?

Thavks, Jon Lawrence

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

.. I'm a little confused by how some places charge for telecine, for example, Spectra film and video $238 per hour - now does that mean per hour of footage how for how long it takes them to do the telecine?

Thavks, Jon Lawrence

Rates can vary. Listed price may or may not be the final price. The Spectra rate card price is actually a low price for a high end transfer place. They probably have some price flexibility depending upon the demands of the job and the client. The lower the price the facility lists on their rate card, the less flexible they seem if you ask for a further discount, which many customers inevitably ask for.

If Transfer place A is 200 bucks an hour, and gives no discount, you may find that to be very unfriendly. If Transfer place B is 300 an hour and gives you a 100 dollar an hour discount, you may think they really worked with you, but the end price is the same.

Additionally, Spectra Film and Video offers bulk discount deals where you can buy 4, 6, 8 or 12 or 24 cartridges of film at a flat rate that includes film, processing and transfer. It probably is significantly lower than the transfer rate you quoted.

#3 Terry Mester

Terry Mester
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Other
  • Welland, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thavks, Jon Lawrence

If you're in North America, call Kodak's Qualex Photofinishing 1-800-315-9901 to see their prices. I'm sure they're cheaper than any Hollywood location.

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products