Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

Hello All,
I've done some digging through the archives, to find what I could on spot meters, but I didn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd start a new thread. I was looking at getting a Minolta spotmeter M to go along with my incident meter. What do you all think of this particular make/model? Any thoughts, comments or concerns?
Best,
Brian Rose

#2 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hello All,
I've done some digging through the archives, to find what I could on spot meters, but I didn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd start a new thread. I was looking at getting a Minolta spotmeter M to go along with my incident meter. What do you all think of this particular make/model? Any thoughts, comments or concerns?
Best,
Brian Rose

Brian - I've got the minolta spot meter and have found it very useful. The capacity to take readings, save and then get an average is very useful and easy to do. I got the minolta because it's a tried and tested model and I'd seen many dop's using them on shoots. It takes a while to get to know how to use it well in conjunction with an incident meter because of the different readings you get from them it's very much down to interpretation (as I guess is all metering) of readings... It's very useful for keeping an eye on changing light on skin tones and landscapes etc and for getting readings from locations you can't get to with an incident meter...

- Gerald Hirschfeld has written some useful articles on metering and spot meters - do a google and you should come up with some more info...

- Is the meter still available new now? - I know Minolta have pulled out of making meters recently though if you get one you'll still have a guarantee. They're very reliable and shouldn't need re-calibrating hardly at all during the meter's (long!) life...

I know a lof of people use combination meter's nowadays but I still prefer to have both...

Hope this helps...

Rupe Whiteman

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Glidecam