5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hello, I'm a 16 year old high school student who is very interested in cinematography, but I need some pointing in the right direction.

I've been searching through colleges and I've found a few (although expensive) but I'm really unsure of what direction to go and how to get there.

Can someone please give me some suggestion to colleges, prep, etc?
Any help will be greatly appreciated ^_^

Thank you

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:06 AM

Two questions, where ya at and what exactly do you want to know? "I'm really unsure of what direction to go and how to get there." is a pretty broad question, I could say North by Northwest and take the freeway but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Do you want to become a Cinematographer and don't know how to go about it or what's the best school to attend or do you want the become a filmmaker or director? Narrow it down to specifics and MAYBE the answer will come to you without asking or at the very least you'll know what TO ask. B)

#3 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:17 AM

When I was younger I didn't have the nomenclature down. I think that's true of a lot of people on the outside. The term 'cinematography' is taken to mean the art of cinema: film making.

Ken, to be clear, cinematography is specifically the art of cinematic photography - which of course encompasses lighting, shooting, printing, etc., etc. So when you say "I don't know what direction to go" it's confusing because cinematography is a direction - a very specific choice of career within the film industry.

That said, there are a lot of folks on here, such as myself, who are independent filmmakers - which requires at the least a cursory knowledge of cinematography. If you can be more explicit as to what your interests are we'd love to help point you in the right direction.

#4 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

When I was younger I didn't have the nomenclature down. I think that's true of a lot of people on the outside. The term 'cinematography' is taken to mean the art of cinema: film making.

Ken, to be clear, cinematography is specifically the art of cinematic photography - which of course encompasses lighting, shooting, printing, etc., etc. So when you say "I don't know what direction to go" it's confusing because cinematography is a direction - a very specific choice of career within the film industry.

That said, there are a lot of folks on here, such as myself, who are independent filmmakers - which requires at the least a cursory knowledge of cinematography. If you can be more explicit as to what your interests are we'd love to help point you in the right direction.

Sorry about the confusion, I mean the whole lighting, shooting, printing type of thing. Take the directors script and make it what the people see. I'm just not sure on how to go about getting to that point.. high school classes I should take? (Senior registration classes are due Monday, and I've currently taken 1 semester of Broadcasting), people I should get in touch with? Etc.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

OK, so basically, you want to be a filmmaker, not nessesarally a cinematographer. The first thing to do is decide what type of film you want to make, Documentary or Narritive (drama, comedy, experimental ect) because the process of making the 2 different types are somewhat...well, different. Elements learned in Broadcasting class will probably be more applicable to the Documentary style of filmmaking than narritive but even with Narritive films some things you learn will be useful, mostlly for famillurizing yourself with the technical end of things (composition, lighting, editing basics, ect). I would say art class is a must as well as music. Art teaches you composition and visual expression of emotion in a way that will stay with you. Music teaches you pacing, also in a way that is unforgetable. Both are very useful when you start making films. Also take Creative writing. You will learn the basics of story telling. When you make a movie, you're translating what is in your head into something that everyone can see, so if you can put it onto a page the leap onto the screen is that much easier. I would also get ahold of a video or super8 movie camera and editing equipment (a computer with editing software for video or an editing machine with tape and slicer for super8) and some tape or film and start shooting some footage then try to turn it into a story with a beginning, middle and end. Do a documentary on your dog or you sister or ypur school or the park near by you. OR write a script with about 10 or 20 lines with 1 or 2 caratures and get your friend together on a Saturday and shoot the footage, edit it together and make a short movie. Don't worry if it's any good or not, just get famillure with the process. Sence most High schools don't have a film program, you'll have to do some research and studing on your own. I would start out with this: www.exposure.co.uk/makers/minute.html
and:
http://cepa.newschoo...sary_index.html
http://cepa.newschoo...y_of_film_terms
and
www.mediacollege.com/video/
www.digitalfilms.com
www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/makemovie/makemovie.html
www.filmmakermagazine.com/mboard/viewforum.php?f=4
www.wordplayer.com/forums/welcome.html
www.2-pop.com/
www.3dcafe.com
/www.filmshooting.com/
Look in this forum for books and videos to get or borrow from the library.
Let me know if you have any more questions B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 10 February 2007 - 03:26 AM.

#6 Ken Waide

Ken Waide
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

OK, so basically, you want to be a filmmaker, not nessesarally a cinematographer. The first thing to do is decide what type of film you want to make, Documentary or Narritive (drama, comedy, experimental ect) because the process of making the 2 different types are somewhat...well, different. Elements learned in Broadcasting class will probably be more applicable to the Documentary style of filmmaking than narritive but even with Narritive films some things you learn will be useful, mostlly for famillurizing yourself with the technical end of things (composition, lighting, editing basics, ect). I would say art class is a must as well as music. Art teaches you composition and visual expression of emotion in a way that will stay with you. Music teaches you pacing, also in a way that is unforgetable. Both are very useful when you start making films. Also take Creative writing. You will learn the basics of story telling. When you make a movie, you're translating what is in your head into something that everyone can see, so if you can put it onto a page the leap onto the screen is that much easier. I would also get ahold of a video or super8 movie camera and editing equipment (a computer with editing software for video or an editing machine with tape and slicer for super8) and some tape or film and start shooting some footage then try to turn it into a story with a beginning, middle and end. Do a documentary on your dog or you sister or ypur school or the park near by you. OR write a script with about 10 or 20 lines with 1 or 2 caratures and get your friend together on a Saturday and shoot the footage, edit it together and make a short movie. Don't worry if it's any good or not, just get famillure with the process. Sence most High schools don't have a film program, you'll have to do some research and studing on your own. I would start out with this: www.exposure.co.uk/makers/minute.html
and:
http://cepa.newschoo...sary_index.html
http://cepa.newschoo...y_of_film_terms
and
www.mediacollege.com/video/
www.digitalfilms.com
www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/makemovie/makemovie.html
www.filmmakermagazine.com/mboard/viewforum.php?f=4
www.wordplayer.com/forums/welcome.html
www.2-pop.com/
www.3dcafe.com
/www.filmshooting.com/
Look in this forum for books and videos to get or borrow from the library.
Let me know if you have any more questions B)

Thank you ^_^ I'll check those out

Technodolly

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam