Ed Scott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Denver

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

I've read a number of posts regarding the variable frame rates the Varicam shoots at. My question is, In order to overcrank at 60fps, all I need to do is increase the frame rate indicator to 60 by pushing the Synchro+ button?

Seems way to simple.

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 465 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

I've read a number of posts regarding the variable frame rates the Varicam shoots at. My question is, In order to overcrank at 60fps, all I need to do is increase the frame rate indicator to 60 by pushing the Synchro+ button?

Seems way to simple.

You need to get into the MENU system. Find MAIN MENU 2 then scroll down and you'll find FRAME RATE. This is where you choose your frame rate.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

The shortcut is to push the Menu dialing button, which will make the frame rate indicator at the top left corner flash. Then use the Synchro Scan buttons to adjust the imaging speed.

The camera always records 60p, but you are dialing in the rate the sensor captures images. The camera will then spread these across 60p by repeating certain frames to fill in the difference, noting the non-repeating frames in the U-bits. Then using your NLE (or a Frame Rate Converter) you can extract out the speed cadence you want. Stick a 60p shot into a 24p timeline and it will take 2.5 times as long to play back -- thus giving slow motion. It's exceptionally easy to do what you learn the basics of the process.

#4 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

Seems way to simple.

Press the jog dial and the frame rate should blink in the viewfinder. While it's blinking, adjust the syncro buttons. Don't forget to change it back when you're done!

You can also do this in the menu BTW.

-bruce

#5 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

If your captureing off a deck at uncompressed 8-bit HDSDI (1280x720) out you need to capture it at 23.98pfs.

#6 Ed Scott

Ed Scott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Denver

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

The shortcut is to push the Menu dialing button, which will make the frame rate indicator at the top left corner flash. Then use the Synchro Scan buttons to adjust the imaging speed.

The camera always records 60p, but you are dialing in the rate the sensor captures images. The camera will then spread these across 60p by repeating certain frames to fill in the difference, noting the non-repeating frames in the U-bits. Then using your NLE (or a Frame Rate Converter) you can extract out the speed cadence you want. Stick a 60p shot into a 24p timeline and it will take 2.5 times as long to play back -- thus giving slow motion. It's exceptionally easy to do what you learn the basics of the process.

OK, that makes a bit more sense. I shot the Varicam this past weekend, and dialed in the frame rate to 60 with the intention of have the tape for slow motion. I had read Goodman's guide and it just seemed a bit to easy. I guess I was thinking it took more tweaking.

I understand that playback in the camera will look normal, so it's when inputting the footage into the computer that you can manipulate the frames to see the slomo results?

thanks for all the great input - nice community here!

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineLab