Mikael Gustafsson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Hello.

I've been looking for answers on the net for some time by now, without much success. I'd be very thankful if someone with the know-how could instruct me on this. Posted this on another forum with no success as well.

Björn Andersson just sent me back our new R-16 PZ all oiled and serviced, the fact that he sent me the lens and the body separately left me in confusion though. I attached the lens and thought it was ok, but when I tried engaging the auto aperture rod the motor started yelling like crazy. I probably installed it the wrong way around. Then I found this notion in German in the manual which has something to do with the issue:

"Die Einstellungen entsprechen denen der fest mit der R16A verbundenen Blenden un Zoomsteuereinheiten."

"Achtung : Beim EIN und AUSSCHRABEN UNBEDINGT BEACHTEN:
1. Der Zoom Schalter and der Frontseite des Tubuses soll auf "man"(manuell) stehen
2. Die Einheit darf beim Ein bzw. Ausschraben nicht an den Steuertuben angefasst und gedreht werden. Die Hebelwirkung kann, falls dies nicht beachtet wird, zur Dejustierung bzw. Beschädigung der Tuben Fyhren.
3. Drehen Sie die Einheit, indem Sie das Objektiv nur an dem feststehenden Objekticschaft oder and dem Zoom-Zahnkranzring anfassen. Ersterer wird besser zugänglich wenn Sie zuvor den Entfernungseinstellring auf Uendlich-Stellung bringen. Drehen Sie die Einheit jedoch nicht an dem Entfernungs-einstellring, der Endanschlag könnte beschädigt werden."

Could anyone help me by either translating that text, or just telling me how the zoom-lens is supposed to be attached before I'm doing something really stupid? Don't feel like doing more damage than I've already done.

Thanks a million!

Yours,
Mikael

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

An online translator gave this:

The attitudes correspond to those firmly with the R16A connected screens un zoom shot expensive units." "note: With and AUSSCHRABEN an ABSOLUTE ATTENTION:
1. The zoom shot switch and of the front side of the Tubuses is to stand for Ausschraben on "man"(manuell)
2. the unit may with and/or at the tax tubes be touched and not turned. The lever force can, if this is not considered, for the Dejustierung and/or damage of the tubes Fyhren.
3. Turn the unit, by touching the objective only at the being certain Objekticschaft or and the zoom shot gear rim ring. First better accessible if the distance shim on Uendlich position will bring you before. Do not turn the unit however at the distance shim, the last detent could be damaged."

hopefully a Beaulieu user will be able to help out..

#3 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

"Die Einstellungen entsprechen denen der fest mit der R16A verbundenen Blenden un Zoomsteuereinheiten."

1. Der Zoom Schalter and der Frontseite des Tubuses soll auf "man"(manuell) stehen
2. Die Einheit darf beim Ein bzw. Ausschraben nicht an den Steuertuben angefasst und gedreht werden. Die Hebelwirkung kann, falls dies nicht beachtet wird, zur Dejustierung bzw. Beschädigung der Tuben Fyhren.
3. Drehen Sie die Einheit, indem Sie das Objektiv nur an dem feststehenden Objekticschaft oder and dem Zoom-Zahnkranzring anfassen. Ersterer wird besser zugänglich wenn Sie zuvor den Entfernungseinstellring auf Uendlich-Stellung bringen. Drehen Sie die Einheit jedoch nicht an dem Entfernungs-einstellring, der Endanschlag könnte beschädigt werden."

Well, since I don't know anything about the camera or lens, I'll just translate it for you:
"The configurations correspond the ones that are fixed to the R16A's

#4 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

Well, since I don't know anything about the camera or lens, I'll just translate it for you:
"The configurations correspond to the ones that are fixed to the R16A's aperture and zoom control units."

"Attention: Pay attention to following when screwing in and unscrewing:
1. The Zoom switch on the front side of the tube should not be set to "man" (manual)
2. The unit [I think the lens is meant, not sure though] may not be grabbed and turned on the control tubes when screwing in or unscrewing. The lever-effect [I suppose when grabbing something you shouldn't, it's a weird expression] can, if this instruction is not followed, lead to deadjusting or damaging of the tubes.
3. Turn the unit by grabbing the lens only on the still standing lens shaft or on the Zoom-gear-ring [wtf, I think somethink like a gear linking is meant, never heard that particular word before, how old is that camera? =D]. The lens shaft is easier accessible if you set the distance setting ring [The focusing part, that is] to infinity. Don't turn on the distance setting ring though, as it could be damaged."

Hope I was able to help you, cheerio!

Btw: Damn, what did I do now, could someone erase the post above this one please? Thanks.

Edited by Alessandro Malfatti, 09 February 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

I don't know German but here's how to mount the lens:

1. Make sure the reglo-zoom switch is on the STOP position. (The other postion is marked AUTO).
2. Set the auto-aperture switch to the SEMI postion.(Again, the other position is marked AUTO).
3. Use the zoom ring only to screw in the lens.

It's easier if you turn the camera with the mount facing up. Place the zoom carefully into the lens port, making sure the gears for reglo-zoom and auto-aperture engage properly, and turn clockwise till snug.

#6 Mikael Gustafsson

Mikael Gustafsson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

Thank you everyone for the help!

I figured out the problem just a minute ago. I had installed it correctly, it was quite straight-forward as a few of you pointed out. The thing which I didn't take into account was that the motor was yelling when it was trying to open up the lens even further, past the max f2.2. That's when I took a glimpse at the light meter controlling plate/dial, and noticed that the poor camera was trying to cope with ASA 25 film at 25 FPS. My room ambience isn't by far enough for that, hence the yelling noise.

And speaking of Babelfish, it's a really good service, but with stuff like this I'm hesitating to use it. It's all too possible that you miss just that one important button/glitch/problem because the site doesn't convert just that word. But I guess the german was a bit awkward anyway(the author is from Bayern, if that clarifies).

Now I'll start learning how to load film with this beautiful monster.

Again, many thanks!

Yours,
Mikael

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Visual Products

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Ritter Battery