#1 Graham Aston Burt

Graham Aston Burt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • nyc

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

so I'm teamates on a macro project. we have access to bolexes and arri sr. we have aquired extension tubes for the c mount lenses and like our results however we looking for more magnification. One idea that i read about in other posts was to get a c mount to Canon fd adapter and try using some macro/ magnifying lenses. I think i even found some pretty good macro lenses on ebay.
am i headed in the right direction? should i be thinking about something else? we are resolute about shooting on film and money IS a factor. is there some other package we should be considering? nothing is set in stone and i want to make sure we consider all options before we start shooting.

Grateful for any info/advice.

was looking at an FD lens called A Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5-f5.6 Macro 1:5x <does that mean 5x magnifying or one/fifth?

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

was looking at an FD lens called A Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5-f5.6 Macro 1:5x <does that mean 5x magnifying or one/fifth?

Hi
That means the lens can produce 1:5 image, in other words the image on film will be 1/5 of actual size. 1:1 will give image size identical to subject size.
You're heading in the right direction, but I would stay away from zoom lenses for true macro work, greater than 1:1, especially cheap Vivitar made for 35mm still, except maybe the 90mm macro.
I suggest you try to get a hold of the marco Switars like 26mm,75mm and 150mm. They're gonna be better in quality than anything you can buy cheaper, they're already c mount, and you can use the extension tubes for greater magnification.
You will need to compansate exposure if the subject is closer than 10 times the focal legth of the lens, as some light is lost on route.
Any of the Micro-Nikkors will also do an excellent job. The cheapest is the 50/3.5, which can be bought for under $50, but you will also need a Nikon to c adapter, and maybe a Nikon bellows, or extension tube PK-1, for greater magnification. I'm sure there is an equivelant Canon too.
What is the subject by the way?

#3 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

so I'm teamates on a macro project. we have access to bolexes and arri sr. we have aquired extension tubes for the c mount lenses and like our results however we looking for more magnification. One idea that i read about in other posts was to get a c mount to Canon fd adapter and try using some macro/ magnifying lenses. I think i even found some pretty good macro lenses on ebay.
am i headed in the right direction? should i be thinking about something else? we are resolute about shooting on film and money IS a factor. is there some other package we should be considering? nothing is set in stone and i want to make sure we consider all options before we start shooting.

Grateful for any info/advice.

Hello Graham,

What magnification ratio are you trying to achieve?

Chuck

#4 Graham Aston Burt

Graham Aston Burt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • nyc

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

What is the subject by the way?

going to be shooting the human body.

thanks. do i need to be using only "macro" switars with the tubes? will they achieve a better result?

Hello Graham,

What magnification ratio are you trying to achieve?

Chuck

hoping to get 1:1 to 3:1

think thats doable with a bolex and c mounts?

#5 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

I'm almost sure the 26,50,75mm Switars and 150mm Yvar can't do 1:1, but might be capable of 1:2 by themselves. With extension tubes they will easily do 1:1 and surpass it. The Nikon will do 1:1 with PK-13 tube.

Edited by Mike Rizos, 11 February 2007 - 08:28 PM.

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies