#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

So im looking to study at USC's cinema school, i just wondered if there are any alumni on this board that could offer a helping hand?

I'm from the UK and understand all the money that is needed. I just wondered if there any advantages of being an International student, like pulling more weight with the admission guys?

Any help would be great!

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Don't bother. It'll cost you an arm and a leg and when you graduate you will be ejected directly back in the direction of the grim, rainy little island we call the UK where none of your knowledge will be relevant and you will have precisely no hope whatsoever of paying off your gigantic debts.

Dangerous idea.

Phil

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

Don't bother. It'll cost you an arm and a leg and when you graduate you will be ejected directly back in the direction of the grim, rainy little island we call the UK where none of your knowledge will be relevant and you will have precisely no hope whatsoever of paying off your gigantic debts.

Dangerous idea.

Phil

Well thats not totally true. I can work here. I apply for a residency, i own property here. And there will be no debts to pay off.

#4 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:02 AM

If there's one thing I like about Phil, it's that wide grin he's always wearin'.

Are you familiar with Nietzche? Nothingness, God is dead, et al.

#5 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

If there's one thing I like about Phil, it's that wide grin he's always wearin'.

Are you familiar with Nietzche? Nothingness, God is dead, et al.

Erm, what?

#6 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

So im looking to study at USC's cinema school, i just wondered if there are any alumni on this board that could offer a helping hand?

I went through the 'SC theatre program, taking a number of film classes but never formally joining the film program. If you're interested in working as a technician, it's easily the best program anywhere. 'SC students easily land jobs in sound, editing, color timing, camera assisting, etc.

What USC does not turn out a lot of, despite its publicity to the contrary, is directors and producers.

You need to carefully consider the reputation of any school you attend. My first job out of college (an industrial video production company) had a policy of not hiring anyone from USC film school. The students have a reputation for being unable to make a deadline and having an "I can do it better than you" attitude to boot. My favorite film lab in town, on the other hand, preferentially hires USC film students because they can be trusted to understand what the lab does.

If your goal is to get great technical training and take it back home, you should definitely look at USC. Anyone anywhere will know you know how to use your gear with USC on your resume. If your goal is to become an acclaimed director, you're probably better served by studying in a less competitive environment where you can actually get your first film made.

Unfortunately, being an American, I can't really speak to the issues you'll face as an international student.

Best of luck!

#7 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

If there's one thing USC has that other school's done, it's money, budgeting and equipment that collectively make up for a fantastic filmmaking experience. You'll get to use all the equipment that professionals use and you'll come out of it with a wealth of knowledge that'll get you to workin' on movie sets in no time.

So, for the technical side, it's great. Plus, I hear the workshops are fantastic with really successful industry professionals stopping in every now and again to impart a bit of their knowledge and technique.

I'm not sure how they are in teaching theory, but theory I've always felt is something you should pursue by yourself and by your own desire through life experience and research.

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks