#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:53 AM

I'm in the process of updating my xl1s and was deciding between the dvx100B and xl2.

I hear from a lot of people the panasonic is a better camera, but they never tell me why. I was wondering if any of you agree and why?

Thanks-

Nick

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:28 AM

I'm in the process of updating my xl1s and was deciding between the dvx100B and xl2.
I hear from a lot of people the panasonic is a better camera, but they never tell me why. I was wondering if any of you agree and why?

I can't tell you any technical details for I don't know them. but what I can tell is, that I always liked the Sony PD150's and Panasonic DVX's footage better. It lacks what I call the Canon look. Many folks prefer the Canon because of that look. So, really I think it depends on your preferences. I've heard many people say that the DVX has a nice cine like look, especially in progressive mode. If you want to know what suits you better, rent them both and compare!

Cheers, Dave

PS: And post results once you're done!

#3 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

technically speaking these cameras capture pretty much the same picture. the big advantage of the canon of course is the ability to put different lenses on it. this is even a bigger advantage when you consider that the lens on the dvx is not so wide and not so long. but if you don't see yourself utilizing the canons lens options (and a lot of xl2 users don't) then you are back to comparing the two cameras' user interfaces (i happen to like the dvx on this note) and their looks . i'd say look-wise it's like comparing fuji to kodak. you can get wonderful images from both if you understand what they are capable of.

for the price range these cameras are excellent... just different. there is no "hands down" winner here.

#4 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hi Nick,

In this comparison, I think it's more important to consider which is the better camera for *you*. Depending on what type of work that you do, and what kind of results that you're after, one will likely be better suited for achieving that. Can you provide some details of what you're planning to use your new camera for?

Incidentally, until March 31 at least, one distinct difference between the cameras is price. The DVX100B currently has a $500 rebate, making it significantly cheaper than the XL-2. It also comes with some useful software and extras.

#5 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:06 PM

I hear from a lot of people the panasonic is a better camera, but they never tell me why.

Another thought about this topic and it might be a bit esoteric. The answer to why so many people feel that the dvx is a "better" camera has to do a lot with marketing. There was a time when the Sony PD 150 was all the rage. Then came the Canon XL1 with it's interchangeable lenses. And then when the DVX100 came out with essentially the same camera BUT with 24P it sort of knocked everone for a loop. Canon responded with a 24P option but the damage seemed to have been done already. In many folks minds it is the DVX100 that is a superior camera simply because of it's place in the timeline of prosumer camera production.

But don't worry about it because there is no doubt that within the next two or three years JVC or Sony or Canon or somebody will come out with something that will make this whole love affair with the DVX seem like a distant memory...

Until then go out with both cameras and see which one you like the best.

#6 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

I chose the XL2 for the Interchangeable lenses and because it has what I consider a superior widescreen mode because it doesn't electronically anamorphize the picture. But I've heard that the DVX is a much more rugged camera. And it does have a great picture. I agree that it's really a matter of personal preference and arguments as to which is better are largely masturbatory.

#7 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

I shoot with the DVX quite a bit. It is a nice camera, nice picture & clean audio.
However, as Chris noted, it is native 4:3.
Your choice will probably boil down to that difference; native 16:9 vs. 4:3

But I've heard that the DVX is a much more rugged camera.

The start/stop button popped off mine when I was shooting with an Ewa-Marine housing. :huh:
Annoying, but its a great camera none the less.

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS