Auricon Optical SOF

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

I have shot 4 x 100 foot rolls of reversal Black and White film with a Auricon Pro 600 Optical (one track) sound on film outfit. One of the reels was done correctly. That is, my exposere and the labs development matched so that the picture and sound came out nicely. The other three are either over or under exposed or overdeveloped (high gamma) so they don't work as well, but some sound still projects in parts.

Now, I'd like to get it onto miniDV so I can make a showing of it. At least transfer the first roll that was done well.

The local lab (Summit) that I was going to use has closed. Who would be good to ask to do this?

Michael Carter
Pittsburgh PA

Edited by Michael Carter, 12 February 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#2 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

The local lab (Summit) that I was going to use has closed. Who would be good to ask to do this?

What Summit would have done is splice a sync beep into the optical track & transfer the track to mag, since scanners aren't single system optical.
Then transfer picture and mag double system.

#3 GeorgeSelinsky

GeorgeSelinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

What Summit would have done is splice a sync beep into the optical track & transfer the track to mag, since scanners aren't single system optical.
Then transfer picture and mag double system.

I had to do a transfer of a 16mm print with optical sound, the rank we used had an optical sound head on it. I'd imagine most of them do.

#4 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

I had to do a transfer of a 16mm print with optical sound, the rank we used had an optical sound head on it. I'd imagine most of them do.

Diebenham was sent it as they have a Rank and said it was everyday work just +10% more $. They are rather local.

I'd like to get a optical reader but would need a 24fps driver on the rewinds. ??

PFM school has flatbed editor viewers that read optical and display the images. It would be easy to video off the screen for a rough copy. I might ask to be a member again.

Mivhael Carter

#5 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Hey Michael,

The lab I had mine transfered at, Alpha Cine, just used a rank with an optical head. Being in Pitt I am sure you would have a lab around that could do the transfer. If not, look in NewYork.

Email me when you get it done. I love the Auricon stuff. The sound is lo-fi but wonderful! I actually had one of my pro-600s for sale and when some one came by to take a look at it I found myself talking him out of buying it. Now I need to shoot something with it to justify keeping it.

Edited by nathan snyder, 12 February 2007 - 10:14 PM.

#6 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:37 AM

Anybody with a Rank Cintel telecine should be able to transfer 16mm optical sound, in sync and in real time to DV. Debenham is in Pittsburgh and has a rank they are a good outfit.

-Rob-

#7 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

I was at WRS, Summit's predecessor. Same equipment and people that were at Summit.
That was their work flow.

#8 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

I was at WRS, Summit's predecessor. Same equipment and people that were at Summit.
That was their work flow.

I wonder if any of that equipment will be for sale now?

It'll be about 2 weeks from today to get the film and tape back according to an e-mail from Debenham. They got it already.

Michael

#9 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

I'd like to get a optical reader but would need a 24fps driver on the rewinds. ??

I might ask to be a member again.

It doesn't take much practice to beable to hand crank at the correct speed.

Were you tossed out?

#10 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

It doesn't take much practice to beable to hand crank at the correct speed.

Were you tossed out?

Ha Ha, yea I'm pretty grumpy but no. I just never paid up after they said I was in as an artist member and got distracted by something else.....

#11 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

You Tube has a video showing the Auricon Cine Voice camea running and recording sound on the amp. That is pretty much like my outfit. Here is the link.

Recording optical sound with an Auricon Cine Voice

After my film comes back from the lab I'll be able to post a movie showing the thing in action and not just the outside of it like in the video above.

#12 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

The film came back from the transfer and it is great! :)
It has been made into four short clips on line so you can see and hear the sound from each clip. Each has a different look, but all four are B&W reversal. Different processors were used. One is very distressed. Another was overexposed. One is high gamma, and lastly is just right.

studiocarter

Now, what do I do with this outfit? ;)

If anyone wants a higher quality, full quality files can be posted for download off of filecrunch. It works great, too. Let me know.

Michael Carter

Edited by Michael Carter, 04 March 2007 - 08:40 PM.

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Tai Audio

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery