5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark A. Rapp

Mark A. Rapp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have an Arri 16BL with which I intend to shoot a short this summer. My question to anyone in the know is this: is the 24fps gear in the camera adequate for shooting sync sound? I know: I should have an electronic sync mechanism. Will the camera running at 24fps with the 24fps gear be adequate for takes over more than a few seconds?

#2 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

It will be fine for short takes- I did a music video a long time ago with an arri-M with a constant speed motor, using a cassette-tape for playback (!) and we tried one long take just for laughs, and that stayed in sync for over a minute.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

If you've got the constant speed motor there's no problem using the sync output from the camera into a Nagra (or perhaps even the second track of a DAT). Although you might have to some thinking about the best method for syncing it up again in post if you're doing a non linear edit.

#4 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I have an Arri 16BL with which I intend to shoot a short this summer. My question to anyone in the know is this: is the 24fps gear in the camera adequate for shooting sync sound? I know: I should have an electronic sync mechanism. Will the camera running at 24fps with the 24fps gear be adequate for takes over more than a few seconds?

No way of telling without a test. It depends entirely on how accurately your particular governor is set.

You might be interested in our TSCt Tobin Speed Checker. It has 7 crystal speeds including 24, and you can tell right away whether the speed is accurate or not. You could use it to adjust the governor contacts on your motor for near zero drift compared to crystal speed. We just made up a final small batch of these by popular request. The TSCt can be admired at http://www.tobincine....com/page9.html .

#5 Mark A. Rapp

Mark A. Rapp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

Thank you for the input, folks. All very much appreciated. I think I'll run a few tests for sync when I test the film stock. Thanks again!

#6 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

No way of telling without a test. It depends entirely on how accurately your particular governor is set.

You might be interested in our TSCt Tobin Speed Checker. It has 7 crystal speeds including 24, and you can tell right away whether the speed is accurate or not. You could use it to adjust the governor contacts on your motor for near zero drift compared to crystal speed. We just made up a final small batch of these by popular request. The TSCt can be admired at http://www.tobincine....com/page9.html .

Now if we could just get you to make up another batch of TXM-22 motors, all would be right with the universe. :D

Thanks again for the pics Clive,
-Tim

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineLab