13 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Boguslaw

Jon Boguslaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi, I've been trying to learn about 16mm cameras before actually purchasing one and I couldn't find a definitive way to know what cameras are single perf (I plan to buy the film from Kodak and that seems to be what they sell). Is there a way to know which K-3s or Bolexes use single perf?

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

Unless I'm mistaken I think all bolexes are single perf - certainly all the ones I've come across - maybe an old model was double in the days...

I dont know specifically about the K-3's but I'm pretty sure they are single as they are used so much nowadays...

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi, I've been trying to learn about 16mm cameras before actually purchasing one and I couldn't find a definitive way to know what cameras are single perf (I plan to buy the film from Kodak and that seems to be what they sell). Is there a way to know which K-3s or Bolexes use single perf?

Any 16mm camera can use single perf film. My K-3 has been converted to S16 and uses single perf all the time.

chris

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Any 16mm camera can use single perf film.

Um, so what happens when the claw of a double-perf camera hits the space where there is meant to be a sprocket ?

I think you mean to say any single-perf camera can take double-perf film ?

The reverse is not true

#5 ryan_bennett

ryan_bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

This is kodaks website it has everything you are asking about.

#6 Jon Boguslaw

Jon Boguslaw
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for all of the help. It is greatly appreciated.

#7 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:42 AM

Um, so what happens when the claw of a double-perf camera hits the space where there is meant to be a sprocket ?

I think you mean to say any single-perf camera can take double-perf film ?

The reverse is not true

I am currently converting a Filmo to a Super16 camera with a Arri B-Mount. As the Filmo arrives from the factory it has double perf sprockets and a double pulldown claw, definitely will not accept single perf stock.

-Rob-

#8 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:17 AM

Hi-

...Then someone must have converted a mess of filmos to single perf. Most that I've had or seen (except one very old version, with a tube-finder door) all had single claws and single sprocket drives, including the DR that's gathering dust on my shelf at the moment...

which leads me to ask- who's doing your S-16 conversion? I'd love to make this brick of a camera useful again!

#9 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:02 AM

Hi-

...Then someone must have converted a mess of filmos to single perf. Most that I've had or seen (except one very old version, with a tube-finder door) all had single claws and single sprocket drives, including the DR that's gathering dust on my shelf at the moment...

which leads me to ask- who's doing your S-16 conversion? I'd love to make this brick of a camera useful again!

I figured that not all filmo's are double claw/sprocket camera's I was surprised when this one showed up in this config. I do not think it is all that old it looks almost the same layout as my Eyemo with the 8-48 fps selector and the motor drive in the same place.

As to the conversion I am doing it, with the help of our machine shop. The owner of the C-n-C shop we use is a neighbor of one of the Cinelab partners and they make all kinds of cool stuff allot of aerospace (they have parts on the ISS) so working out camera parts (and telecine gate parts) is not much of a challenge for them. I made up all of the specs and brought them a Nikon mount and the front of my Eyemo and in a week the two were melded perfectly.

-Rob-

#10 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Filmo lineage always seemed kind of random to me, plus I would guess many cameras have traded parts with their earlier or later cousins so there doesn't seem to be much consistency of features among even the same model #s.

I'd love to hear how your newly-upgraded filmo is working out!

#11 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Robert, I would love more info on the super16 Filmo conversion. Anyway to get some more info?

#12 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

Robert, I would love more info on the super16 Filmo conversion. Anyway to get some more info?

The only info I really have to give right now is that I got the camera and I have a Aaton to Arri-B mount adapter. I started the process of tearing down the Filmo and preparing to change the mount, machine the gate and sprockets, etc. I went through this before with the Eyemo I reworked, I will post photos as I go.

-Rob-

#13 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

That's very cool of you. Good luck on such an ambitiously techy project!

#14 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:50 PM

Any 16mm camera can use single perf film. .

Not true.

B&H Filmo cameras up through models D and DA would only shoot double perf. The DL and DR will, as far as I know, all accept single perf.

To quote from my Identifying Your Bolex article on my website:

Single perf or double perf?
Beginning with serial 76471, the Bolex H-16 cameras would accept either single perforated (one edge) or double perforated (both edges) film. Prior to this, the cameras required double perf. The older cameras could be factory converted to "sound sprockets" or else this could be done by a repairman using a file.

Bolex didn't have to throw away any left over double sided 16mm sprockets, they could use them up in the H-8 8mm cameras, where they engage every second perforation pair, which is more than adequate. 8mm film has exactly twice as many holes per foot as 16mm.

CineTape

The Slider

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies