#1 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

This a question for David Mullen , "Big Love" has started here on a digital channel , i watched last weeks episode , shot by James Glennon , so must be an early one , the pool behind the house is that on a stage ? anyway it looked nice , dont know if the subject will hold my attention . But will try .

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

This a question for David Mullen , "Big Love" has started here on a digital channel , i watched last weeks episode , shot by James Glennon , so must be an early one , the pool behind the house is that on a stage ? anyway it looked nice , dont know if the subject will hold my attention . But will try .

They are showing Season One, shot by Jim Glennon and Russ Alsobrook. I'm shooting Season Two, which won't air until next Fall at the earliest I think.

Yes, the backyard is on a soundstage, a constant challenge. Part of being hired was promising to figure out how to make the day "exteriors" shot out there look more realistic. Mainly we've done it by using longer lenses, avoiding really wide shots, and reducing the overall soft top light so that the strong "sunlight" reads hotter. Generally my Dinos & 20K's give me an f/8-f/11 split, so I reduce the "skylight" from the spacelights to about an f/4 to create enough contrast, then shoot in backlight as much as I can. I could reduce the overall level even further, but we are using f/3 Cooke zooms mostly so there isn't much point.

#3 Jamey Johnson

Jamey Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

No offense to anyone involved with the first season, but the backyard was a big problem. It was very "Brady Bunch " looking. It wasn't as bad when the camera stayed there or for the night shots, but there were a lot of daytime cuts that went between the frontyard and street to the backyard.

#4 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

Started watching this last week - Wow!

When I first heard it being talked about i thought the title sounded 'soppy,' now i know it was being ironic!

The backyard was a pleasent supprise as it wasn't as bad as i imagined from the discussion here. But the writing, cinemaography, directing and acting were great.

It nocked my socks off!

#5 Jamey Johnson

Jamey Johnson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

My apologies, I didn't mean to make it sound that bad. I realized what a terrible description it was and wasn't able to edit my post.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets