1 reply to this topic

#1 Liam Dale

Liam Dale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

I found a roll of processed 16mm color film in my basement and it's all kind of slimy from sitting in dampness for a while. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to quickly dry out the gelatine - there are some interesting distortions but I don't want to run it through a projector while it's slimy. thanks

Liam

#2 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

I found a roll of processed 16mm color film in my basement and it's all kind of slimy from sitting in dampness for a while. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to quickly dry out the gelatine - there are some interesting distortions but I don't want to run it through a projector while it's slimy. thanks

Liam

Rubbing alcohol (the clear stuff only, don't bring any of the modified yellow or blue poop anywhere close to film), unwinding film gently through chamois between thumb and index; shake or scrape residue of the chamois every three or four feet. When slime is off, give it a second run wjth film cleaner. If emulsion comes off the first few inches with alcohol, give it up; just let the film dry out or use a hair dryer then get a good old beat up first generation Eiki or Bauer projector for 50 bucks and have yourself a show.
Marc.

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post