#1 Pedro Millan

Pedro Millan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hey guys,

I will be shooting a low-budget shortfilm in 16mm. There is a scene where a little girl is sitted on a bed that's supossed to be floating in a totally black atmosphere. The only light will be a spot light directly to the girl, it must look like a beautiful ray of light. We have decided to shoot this scene on HD (HVX200) pretty much because of the budget.
My doubt is if i should do it with a green screen or with a black background?( I am asking fo tests but you know that it's hard in these low-budget productions.) I am afraid that if i do it with a green screen, the background will be too sharp and the spotlight wont be noticeable.

thanks for your help,

p.

#2 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

Hey guys,

I will be shooting a low-budget shortfilm in 16mm. There is a scene where a little girl is sitted on a bed that's supossed to be floating in a totally black atmosphere. The only light will be a spot light directly to the girl, it must look like a beautiful ray of light. We have decided to shoot this scene on HD (HVX200) pretty much because of the budget.
My doubt is if i should do it with a green screen or with a black background?( I am asking fo tests but you know that it's hard in these low-budget productions.) I am afraid that if i do it with a green screen, the background will be too sharp and the spotlight wont be noticeable.

thanks for your help,

p.

If the room is really black, and the spot is low and flagged where it will not hit the background you should be fine without doing chroma key. Think of all the dark scenes in movies with a campfire or forest, if it's not lit, it will not pick up the shadows of real black walls that much. However make sure to fix it up with a prof color timer.

The chroma key will look worse for this, most replace chroma with a brighter background than jet black.

Also remember to create a lot of stops of contrast between the lit subject and background, - use more light than what you'd normally use. I'd say 6 stops of contrast on you 1% spotmeter is ok. 1 or 2 stops is not ok at all - it will come out dark gray.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov, 15 February 2007 - 02:44 PM.

#3 ryan_bennett

ryan_bennett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

What I don't understand is you said you're shoothing this on 16mm but also mention the HVX200?

Whichever you're using, for dear god, don't shoot chroma, it won't look right at all. If you want an all black background why don't you shoot with an all black background?

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal