4 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Does anybody know where I could get say about... 50 feet or 100 feet of dead film, so I can practice loading My k3 and make sure I see everything in detail as to how this works. This way I can work out any kinks or troubles before I start using real film..

thanks.

#2 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

Does anybody know where I could get say about... 50 feet or 100 feet of dead film, so I can practice loading My k3 and make sure I see everything in detail as to how this works. This way I can work out any kinks or troubles before I start using real film..

thanks.

No clue actually. I've heard people suggesting using Leader that your local processing place can give/sell to you. Also pick up a few daylight up-take spools for it (while you're there), processed neg's usu come back on a core type spool so they have oodles of those laying around.

What I used was real film :-). Dektol type 20 year old Kodak RAR. :-).

But beware those films can be thinner than todays Kodak or Fuji stock which is harder to wrangle, especially in total darkness or where you cannot see it (e.g. changing bag.).

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Try a place that sells short ends. Ask for the shortest length of film they have in any stock. Or see if they can cut 50 feet off a short end for say double the normal per foot price? most will not sell less than 200 feet (which would only be $35 or so) but if they will make a deal on cutting some off some you might get it for $17. either way that is pretty cheap. Also on ebay theres a guy who sells I think 10 foot lengths for starting at a dollar, but I am not sure how reliable he is.

Practice loading in stages. load in light with eyes open, then load in light with eyes closed, then load in a bag. At each stage practice it until the motions become muscle memory, then move to the next step. By the time you get to the bag, it will be second nature, and be less prone to mistakes during actual production.

also, be detail oriented. On my first film I was trying to pay very careful attention to the film and treating it properly, so much so that on one reel I forgot to pull the core addaptor off (somehow it didn't click when it came off with the core) not a big deal but it left me searching the cans looking for that damn adaptor. Good news though with no experience at all first time out I was able to load the mag, thread the camera and expose the takes with absolutley no problems at all.

#4 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

I bought a old camera on ebay and it had a roll in it, Kodachrome II, exposed.

Do you want to have it processed?

Ebay has lots of old reels of film in boxes collectors put on display.

#5 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

Don't pay for junk film. Your best bets are to contact any place that regularly works with film (rental houses, labs, production companies, stock manufacturers, stock sellers, shortend dealers, etc) and explain your circumstances and what you want it for. Chances are that you'll find somewhere that won't be terribly bothered to give you a bit, especially if it's as short a 16mm. If you have any way of contacting ACs or even DPs, they are probably also good bets - ACs often keep junk film for doing scratch tests, and also can easily save leftover waste film if they have an upcoming job (I threw out probably 40-70 feet today myself - can't help you if you're not close to London, though). ACs and DPs also are very likely to have shortends from some of their old productions, and if it's been sitting around for a while and is rather short, you might be able to convince them to donate something like a 70' shortend from 2005, for example.

Failing all that, you could buy a 100' spool, but it's a waste of otherwise good film and you'd have to pay for it. Plus, you can use all of the above leads to also make some good contacts! Anyway, that's my two cents.

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS