#1 tanner wolfe

tanner wolfe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

i was recently watching minority report. i noticed flares or lens aberations covering most of the frame. they are vertical and occur during fight between cruise and colin farrell, when they are on a gantry above a robotic car factory. it reminds me of some of the work done on saving private ryan. curious what the effect is that he employed.

cordially,

tanner

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

The vertical smearing of bright highlights comes from deliberately mistiming the shutter.

Normally the film does not advance in the gate to the next frame until the shutter is completely closed over the gate, but when the shutter is mistimed, the film starts to move before the shutter is completely closed, so the last few moments of the exposure are happening to a moving piece of film, causing brightest highlights (the only thing to register in this brief exposure moment) to get smeared vertically.

The movie was also shot with net diffusion filters, which can cause some star-shaped flares.

#3 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:20 AM

The vertical smearing of bright highlights comes from deliberately mistiming the shutter.

Normally the film does not advance in the gate to the next frame until the shutter is completely closed over the gate, but when the shutter is mistimed, the film starts to move before the shutter is completely closed, so the last few moments of the exposure are happening to a moving piece of film, causing brightest highlights (the only thing to register in this brief exposure moment) to get smeared vertically.

The movie was also shot with net diffusion filters, which can cause some star-shaped flares.

How do you adjust the shutter to do this David?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:11 AM

Hi,

On some modern cameras, it's a menu option - it can even be done during the shot, an effect I believe can be seen in Gothika. On others, it's a mechanical adjustment which should really be done in a workshop. Many cameras do not offer very practical means of doing it at all; the issue is not so much doing it, as undoing it afterward. I have retimed the shutter on several different film projectors - where shutter mistiming has more or less the same effect - and it can be very tricky to get right.

Phil

#5 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:29 AM

Thanks Phil,
Whats the effect actually called? What would it be called in a menu?

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

"Shutter phase" or "shutter sync" or something like that. Not to be confused with the "phase" button on the side of the movement, which will simply waste 1.3 inches of film.

Phil

#7 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

On cameras with an electronic shutter you can desycnchronize it with the menu (and an extra sync box in case of Arri if my memory serves correctly. Those cameras include the Arricams, the 535A and the new 435s (ES, Advanced & Extreme). On Panavision cameras it's the Millenium and the XLs

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc