Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

hi all

i recently saw at IDIFF (french HD festival) a test run by Disney a side by side test (verry well done) with a 35 cam and a D20, Dalsa, Viper, F900 but not the genesis which was busy at that time on "superman".

does anyone of you had a chance to see this test?
if you are experienced with the genesis where will you place it?

to me as a conclusion it seemed that all the hd's where prototypes compare to 35!
the dalsa can fight whith the 35 but the camera design of the body takes us 50 years back (at the time of the mitchell with a sound barney).

i don't say the hd aren't good, i say that projected on a 40 ft screen they doesn't look as good as the 35 look.

#2 Alan Lasky

Alan Lasky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:24 PM

Jean-Marie,
I have not only seen the tests, I worked on them at the DISNEY Ranch when I was with DALSA. I have to say that they were the best run camera tests I have ever been on anywhere (and I have been on a really large number of camera tests.) :o Suffice to say I doubt any studio will put up the kind of money again that DISNEY shelled out for this test, which they called "The Other Project." A number of techno-big wigs at other studios blew smoke and said they would do bigger and more comprehensive tests, but as of yet it has been all just talk.

It was indeed a shame that the Genesis was not there, I am sure it would have produced great pictures as well. Timing is always the deal killer in these kinds of tests; not everyone can make it out to the party.

I would say the following about The Other Project, not as criticism, but as subjective observation:

1. It might be good to do a test where you did not: "light for film and have the digital cameras follow." Each digital camera has a sweet spot and it might be good to do some tests where each camera has a chance to perform under the conditions it would be used, not just to see how it performs in comparison to film. I understand the objective methodology used in the DISNEY test (film as the control group) but it would be nice to see a test where the set was lit for each of the digital cameras depending on their own strengths and weaknesses. Then let the pictures decide. This would of course add huge amounts of time and expense to an already big and expensive project, but if any of the studios want to cough up a cash hair ball for a next set of tests this might be the way to go.

2. The post production pipeline on these tests is critical. Each of the digital cameras has a unique workflow that must be followed during post production in order to squeeze the maximum quality out of each system. Unfortunately the pressures of schedule and budget don't always allow for the creation of custom pipelines and workflows for each camera, especially when multiple digital acquisition sources are involved. Often when schedules and money get tight you hear: "Just run it all through the 'blank' machine and get it out the door." This is the nature of post production and doing it any other way would be very expensive, but that process just does not show each camera in its best light. I am sure you know what I am talking about if you have seen the test material.

Ultimately though the DISNEY tests were a great experience all around and certainly by far the best and most well thought out camera tests done so far IMHO. They had a great craft service guy too who we see all the time now! :D

Alan Lasky
Los Angeles, CA

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Visual Products

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio