#1 andy patch

andy patch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Im looking into getting the M2 35 adapter for the HVX, but im having some problems. I dont want to get the one with the nikon mount, since it seems to be hard on a focus puller, and does not operate like what most would be used to. For this sake I feel the PL mount M2 would be far more professional. However, to but a prime set costs waaaaayyy too much, so i wanted to opt for one really good zoom. the problem is that any 35 zoom is far to big and bulky. Are there any adapter that use super 16 lenses on a PL mount?? one 16mm zoom would be far more easy to operate. any thoughts on this?

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

It won't work. These adapters are designed to project a 35 format area to be rephotographed, so the S-16 lens won't cover. If you try to stick a S-16 lens on one it may hit the front surface of the adapter, damaging both. And the whole point of these adapters is to get the 35mm format's shallow depth of field, so what would be the point of going S-16?

#3 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

I love the M2 and use it a lot when we can't shoot film but putting real 35mm Lenses (not SLR) lenses doesn't really make a lot of sense, especially if you are buying the equipment.

I have seen footage from the M2/PL mount with various cine-lenses and the differences don't warrant the extra cost. Really high quality Nikon lenses faster than f2.0 are your best bet. You won't be able to pull focus the standard way but most of the AC's I work with get up to speed marking focus by eye (HVX focus assist) and using the monitor to double check the marks.

While a Cooke S-4 has a higher resolving power than a Nikkor-Q the HVX won't really be able to pick up on the difference. On a pro-35 you will see a difference but the HVX is only a 1/3" camera.

As for being professional any shoot that would allow a M2 won't care if its PL or Nikon Mount. Look for photos of Vincent Pascoe's shoot, he pimps that out with a jimmy jib and wireless FF.

Cheers,

Matt

#4 alfredoparra

alfredoparra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Producer

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

I havent tried this but it might work, get a pl to c mount adapter and use a c-mount lens

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc