2 replies to this topic

#1 Rob.m.Neilson

Rob.m.Neilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:54 PM

I've recently started working with Futureshorts www.futureshorts.com which puts on monthly shorts festivals in Europe. They are setting up a branch in NYC and we already had one screening which sadly had to be projected from DVD. There were some problems in the PAL transfer and the dvd froze on the first film.

I'd like to try to get them to do all of their NYC screenings in Beta, but what is the best process for this? Should I just get uncompressed quicktime files from them to go straight to beta? Will I have to get the files converted from PAL to NTSC?

Any advice would be great!

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:27 PM

I've recently started working with Futureshorts www.futureshorts.com which puts on monthly shorts festivals in Europe. They are setting up a branch in NYC and we already had one screening which sadly had to be projected from DVD. There were some problems in the PAL transfer and the dvd froze on the first film.

I'd like to try to get them to do all of their NYC screenings in Beta, but what is the best process for this? Should I just get uncompressed quicktime files from them to go straight to beta? Will I have to get the files converted from PAL to NTSC?

Any advice would be great!

I think the best route might be to find a facility in NY which has a Teranex standards converter and have a Digibeta PAL to Digibeta NTSC conversion done on the teranex this is a all SDI route and real time.

I would think most post shops in NYC that have telecine will have a teranex.

I am also assuming your original is DigiBeta PAL.

-Rob-

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

I think the best route might be to find a facility in NY which has a Teranex standards converter and have a Digibeta PAL to Digibeta NTSC conversion done on the teranex this is a all SDI route and real time.

I would think most post shops in NYC that have telecine will have a teranex.

I am also assuming your original is DigiBeta PAL.

-Rob-

How long has teranex been around, and does it do NTSC DigiBeta to PAL in real time, how does it handle inverted AB fields?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC