pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi everyone ,
I am an young cinematographer( 24 years old) and i'm quite sure that i will leave Paris for America in order to try and get a job inside the film industry , i know it's really hard (worse than Paris,i guess..) but do you have some advices to give me ? For example , which one is the best city in order to create some contacts ?

i am open minded ,so tell me everything that's on your mind
Thank you

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

Why are you in such a hurry to escape Paris for LA when you're already assuming the conditions are worse here then there?

I don't know where you are in your career, but moving to LA is most likely going to force you to start all over again from the ground up to build those contacts and create a network of people who know your name and want to work with you.

I'm making so much progress here in SF, that I wouldn't dream of leaving...just yet.

#3 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hi jon ,
thanks a lot about the answer...but i already think about that ...don't feel obliged to answer to all the subjects in this forum, especially , (like for mine) i don't find any usefull informations in it.
If one day ,you will stay in Paris for more than 3 months ,you will understand why i want to leave .
Good luck in Sf

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

There are some hurdles you have to overcome, though.

First of all you'll need an O-1 visa to be able to work in the film biz in the US (or green card). These are not impossible to get if you're experienced (well, the green card kinda is, actually), but they're not easy either - to be eligible you have to prove that you have risen to the "top of your profession" within your field. This means awards, articles, financial rewards and peer recommendations etc which is not normally the stuff one has when one's starting out.. They also cost about $5000 in lawyers fee's to obtain.

After that you probably have to join the union at some point if you want to play with the big guys. This is quite expensive and hard to do since they want you to prove you have worked on American productions for a certain amount of time. And without membership, you can't do big movies.

Obviously, you could also trawl bars and find a nice American girl to marry to obtain a green card, but please look at the film Green Card beforehand... :)

#5 pascal Boyer

pascal Boyer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Paris/France

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

Wouuuha !! yeah, it sounds really hard .I'll think about it twice ..
Thank you for all these precious informations

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS