#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:59 AM

Hello all,

Would like to know what sought of questions or discussions you may have with the following heads in pre production. Regardless of how trivial it may seem. I am trying to find out whether the tail wags the dog, that sought of thing.

Director
First AD
Designer
Editor
Producer
Gaffer

A side thing, I shot a short recently, inexperienced 1st AD. After the first day , when things didn?t go so smoothly, I gave her a list of how a production moves on set from "moving on", to "final checks". I found out at the wrap drinks that she was upset by my gesture for improving her knowledge, why? A month earlier, I took no offence from a senior stunt guy offering me advice with shooting with stunts. Why do I constantly feel like a bad guy for offering knowledge to people less experienced then me. I should not have to say at the beginning of a production to some fresh uni student that I have worked as a loader on this and that, nor should I, have to tell the producer problems, only for them to turn around and tell the person. I believe a problem should be dealt with head on. I would be upset if someone had a problem with me and could not feel comfortable coming straight to me, but going through channels. Should I turn up wit a CV printed on my T shirt so people know what I have done? It eems that everyone can be sensitive except me (poor me, I know).

Thank you,

#2 Mairtin de Barra

Mairtin de Barra

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hello all,

Would like to know what sought of questions or discussions you may have with the following heads in pre production. Regardless of how trivial it may seem. I am trying to find out whether the tail wags the dog, that sought of thing.

Director
First AD
Designer
Editor
Producer
Gaffer

A side thing, I shot a short recently, inexperienced 1st AD. After the first day , when things didn?t go so smoothly, I gave her a list of how a production moves on set from "moving on", to "final checks". I found out at the wrap drinks that she was upset by my gesture for improving her knowledge, why? A month earlier, I took no offence from a senior stunt guy offering me advice with shooting with stunts. Why do I constantly feel like a bad guy for offering knowledge to people less experienced then me. I should not have to say at the beginning of a production to some fresh uni student that I have worked as a loader on this and that, nor should I, have to tell the producer problems, only for them to turn around and tell the person. I believe a problem should be dealt with head on. I would be upset if someone had a problem with me and could not feel comfortable coming straight to me, but going through channels. Should I turn up wit a CV printed on my T shirt so people know what I have done? It eems that everyone can be sensitive except me (poor me, I know).

Thank you,

On the side thing, I've often found it a failing in a bad a.d. that they don't want to listen to anything! As a matter of interest, did you give it to her in private or on set? Either way, it's like saying to her she doesn't know what she's doing. I suppose most other h.o.d.s have a recognisable skill, wheras it's hard to pinpoint the exact qualities which make a good a.d. - hence a little insecurity to criticism.
I was one briefly by the way! Kept on getting into trouble for listening to people who were experts in their field and using logic :)

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

I have had both very good and very bad experiences with ADs. The problem children were most certainly the people who didn't want to listen to expertise. Regardless of someone's experience, if they're a technical expert they should be given at least basic regard. Many below-the-line people - people who are not officers, in a military sense - are very knowledgeable and experienced in their specific fields and are ignored at peril. Unfortunately, since the AD is pretty senior, what usually happens is that the subordinate person is ignored, and it's their peril...

Phil

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Opal