Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping to enter this 100 second film festival, the main challenge is directing a movie in that short time span. How should I pace it, how should I shoot it, what should the actors be doing? Any advice will help alot.

#2 Jason Outenreath

Jason Outenreath
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Director
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

I think that really depends on the story you want to tell... Every movie you'll notice is paced differently, with the actors doing different things.

#3 Nicholas Jenkins

Nicholas Jenkins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Student
  • Missoula, MT

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I think that really depends on the story you want to tell... Every movie you'll notice is paced differently, with the actors doing different things.

Agreed. It all depends on story.

#4 Pablo Herrera

Pablo Herrera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Director
  • Dallas, Tx

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

I say having no dialogue would help. If everything can be told with motions. But thats just my thought.

#5 Joseph Nesbitt

Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Thankyou, I think that is definetly something I will consider for the piece, I think that will definetly help create a good piece.

#6 Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Galen Carter-Jeffrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

What film festival is it?

#7 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

Why the 100 second time-restriction? You should allow the story to unfold naturally, no matter how long or short it winds up being...

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

If it where me, I'd shoot it like it was a feature with really quick cuts that show just a small portion of each scene with a different location for almost each cut and only 2 or 3 words of dialog for each cut. Make it something dframatic and high concept llike a sweeping ove story or action movie that would be some big film if it where a feature but the quick cuts and short sequences make it funny but because of the whole idea of the director and writer trying to squeeze a feature film into 100 seconds, spoofing the whole idea of doing a 3 act film in 100 seconds and be SURE to make it EXACTLY 100 seconds as though you COULD tell the story in any less time. But that's just what I would do. B)

#9 Robert Lachenay

Robert Lachenay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:26 AM

If it where me, I'd shoot it like it was a feature with really quick cuts that show just a small portion of each scene with a different location for almost each cut and only 2 or 3 words of dialog for each cut. Make it something dframatic and high concept llike a sweeping ove story or action movie that would be some big film if it where a feature but the quick cuts and short sequences make it funny but because of the whole idea of the director and writer trying to squeeze a feature film into 100 seconds, spoofing the whole idea of doing a 3 act film in 100 seconds and be SURE to make it EXACTLY 100 seconds as though you COULD tell the story in any less time. But that's just what I would do. B)

So you're essentially suggesting he create a trailer?

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

So you're essentially suggesting he create a trailer?

No. More of an abserd comedy piece where the entire movie is told in 100 seconds, the comedy derived from the fact that the film is a full leangth feature compressed into an abserdly short space of time. A trailer is designed to entice the audeance to come and see a full leangth film by showing a few select highlights, this film would be an entire movie with scenes lasting only 1 or 2 seconds and cutting to the next scene but taking it's self very seriously, and there in lies the humor. B)

#11 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

A trailer is designed to entice the audeance to come and see a full leangth film by showing a few select highlights,

The trailer to 'Sister Act' did a good job of compressing the entire movie into a couple of minutes.

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

The trailer to 'Sister Act' did a good job of compressing the entire movie into a couple of minutes.

Don't really remeber the trailier.

#13 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Don't really remeber the trailier.

You're lucky. I saw it too many times.

I later read it was the poster child for trailers reveiling too much of the movie.

#14 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

If it where me, I'd shoot it like it was a feature with really quick cuts that show just a small portion of each scene with a different location for almost each cut and only 2 or 3 words of dialog for each cut.

That reminds me of these 30 second parodies of famous movies:

http://www.angryalien.com/

Good examples of telling a complex story in a very short amount of time. But, I don't know how much of that works because of my prior knowledge of the movie(s).

#15 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

Good examples of telling a complex story in a very short amount of time. But, I don't know how much of that works because of my prior knowledge of the movie(s).

I checked out a couple of movies I haven't seen (Borat for one) as well as a bunch that I have. They don't work very well if you don't already know the taglines. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make the point that making an original REAL short movie that makes sense ain't easy.

#16 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, kinda like that. :lol:

#17 Joseph Nesbitt

Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

I really like The Idea Of The Quick Cuts, That's something I think I can Pull Of Pretty easily, the story is going to be hard, making something good and short, the hardest part I think will be getting a backround story that will explain itself. Anyway I really appreciate all the help with this

#18 Dan Goldberg

Dan Goldberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Student
  • London, Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

I say having no dialogue would help. If everything can be told with motions. But thats just my thought.

I'd have to agree. Personally, I think the quic cuts for the whole movie would make me feel that the director simply wanted to fit a story too large for the length into the time limit, which can often looked rushed and hard to follow.

I'd definitely make it as beautiful as possible. Make the film as pleasing to the eye as possible. Beautiful lighting, settings etc. I'd make the film slightly abstract with a hidden meaning of some sort. Do you ahve any idea what the plot (if there will be a plot) or what you want to make a film about?

Cheers!

#19 Joseph Nesbitt

Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

yea, but it's usually just a scramble to fit into the time limit, I tryed writing everything from a Doomsday clock scenerio, the last 100 seconds or a race, the last 100 seconds of a gameshow as well, that was the best one I felt becuase All it required was the host saying and we're back, playing some corny music, then have the contestent, sweating out the answer to this question for a million dollars or something but I also want to incorporate different ideas, the idea of only motions and quick cuts into whatever piece I do. And Also to try to incorporate humor into it, since I'm a young director I don't want to look like I take myself to seriously.

#20 JTH

JTH
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:44 AM

I think you need a script to figure that out.

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Opal

Glidecam

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly