#1 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

Hi,
For 16 and S16mm shooting, would you say a 4X4, two (one rotating) stages matte box would cover most situations?
Marc.

#2 Evan Phan

Evan Phan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hi,
For 16 and S16mm shooting, would you say a 4X4, two (one rotating) stages matte box would cover most situations?
Marc.

I think it depends on your style and shots. Think about what "most situations" entail for you.

I personally like having at least 3 stages with 2 rotating so I can use a Grad filter and a Polarizer simultaneously. Then a third for some kind of diffusion, ND or Color Correction. You have the option of renting screw-on filters for a specific job that go on the lens if 3 slots isnt enough for you.

#3 marc barbé

marc barbé
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Director

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:45 AM

I think it depends on your style and shots. Think about what "most situations" entail for you.

I personally like having at least 3 stages with 2 rotating so I can use a Grad filter and a Polarizer simultaneously. Then a third for some kind of diffusion, ND or Color Correction. You have the option of renting screw-on filters for a specific job that go on the lens if 3 slots isnt enough for you.

Thank you, Evan. By "most situations" I mean not being short on equipment each time the environment and natural light are not helping...
So I gather I should invest a little more and go with a three stage box from the start?
Regards,
Marc.

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks