5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Kedem

Daniel Kedem
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

I'm about to shoot a short (10min.) which takes place, almost exclusively, on a bus in motion through an urban area. I'm considering bringing the bus into a studio and having all the exteriors added later via green screen. We will not have the means to block streets, tow a bus, or rig light from outside - and so this seems a good idea. Any ideas on how to make this look good or otherwise good arguments for going outside are welcome.

P.S. bus sequence in 'The Interpreter' is good reference for doing it this way. Obviously o lesser budget and skill :)

Thanks a lot,
Daniel

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

It would be helpful to know if you have a budget or not, and the skill/experience of your crew - mainly your VFX/Post crew.

#3 Daniel Kedem

Daniel Kedem
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

It would be helpful to know if you have a budget or not, and the skill/experience of your crew - mainly your VFX/Post crew.

Budget is restrictive but exists. Numbers won' be useful, as this will be shot in Israel. I think I can get a decent post crew for this.

#4 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Well there several issues you'll come across, first up is dealing with the bus windows and the greenscreen. Some productions remove the windows to get a clean greenbacking and replace them with CG versions later, even though most colour difference keyers can deal with reflections and transparency. Depends on how comfortable you are with pulling keys with glass or replacing with CG glass later on.

The second issue is camera movement, obviously you probably don't wish to have the camera locked down for every shot, with handheld or pan/tilt shots you can get away with a 2D track later on in post, while a steadicam or tracking shot might require a camera survey and tracking markers on-set to help ease things in post.

The third thing is background plates, you'll need to shoot these to cover all the shots you'll need. You should be able to track these plates onto the windows so you get moving reflections across the windows.

And lastly, interactive light on-set to simulate the movement of the bus. You'll need to figure out what looks right for passing shadows, and travelling highlights.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:00 AM

Read the AC mag with the article on "Children of Men". There's a great photo in there of a bus with a greenscreen.

#6 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:37 AM

http://outnow.ch/Med...f...=1400&h=912

its the pic from the movie

i just finish to shoot music video with a bus in studio it was night scene

we shot with sony790+pro35+ zeiss

it gose for online this week i let you know how it went?

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Tai Audio