#1 Rizk A. Shammas

Rizk A. Shammas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Best Boy

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:39 AM

Dear all, this is my first posting so little backgroung and asking 4 guidance....
I'm 24 yrs old, i've been in this industry for 4 yrs now,...
My goal is to become a DP and i'm working my way from the bottom of the ladder upwards...
I work @gamma engineering-lebanon which is one of the largest companies in middle east.
My college education is IT but i intend to complete my career in cinematography, I started as a lighting helper for 1 yr. then started to work as key grip in small projects while still being in lighting. During the past year i became a Best Boy...
Two months ago i decided that i have enough experience in lighting and grip for now and it is time to move to the camera and theory parts of the domain...
I moved into the camera department two months ago and i'm learning fast!!
The cameras available are Arri 435 advanced, 435 extreme, Arricam ST, 16SR3, and Panasonic DVCPro HD...
Now i'm a second ass. camera and also work insde the company in reservations and maintenence...
I feel i'm on the right track, for any suggestions of what i should do i would be thankfull...

My questions are about the theoretical part of cinematography... like how to calculate the color temp, or how to choose the lens.... and all these issues that need the study in university. How can i get them without having to pay lots of $$ coz i can't afford it..
plz recomend any websites or articles that i can find over the net (4free!!) and thank u 4 letting me join ur group.

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

If you have access to all that kit I don't think you'll need a film school. I always found theory was easier to absorb on my own and you can learn at your own pace.

Try reading these books:

Blain Brown - cinematography theory and practice
Peter Ettedgui - cinematography; screencraft
Paul Wheeler BSC - Cinematography/digital cinematography/high defintion cinematography and 24p

This forum is good for clarifying specific bits of information you may be unsure about.

Wikipedia can be useful for colour theory and optics.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

My questions are about the theoretical part of cinematography... like how to calculate the color temp, or how to choose the lens...

Calculating color temp and choosing lens isn't exactly theoretical...it's more technical. Sure, the usage of color temp and lens choice fits into theoretical, but honestly, you don't have to go to school or take any special classes to figure out how they're used in filmmaking.

Watch films, watch the world around you, pay attention to how the human eye works in focusing and depth of field, find what you think is natural or possibly a magical effect only achieved on film. Be a student of the world I say, and use that to your advantage.

At the same time though, you have to get the technical side down, or else you'll be doing a lot of unnecessary trial with A LOT of error. This forum is a great place to learn, but take as many hands-on courses as you think necessary, and really get comfortable with the equipment so you're not only book smart when it comes to filmmaking, but you actually look like you know what you're doing once on set.

#4 Rizk A. Shammas

Rizk A. Shammas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Best Boy

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Thx guys, will do...
i really am learning a lot from the forums in this site, keep up the good work and thx again..

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Technodolly

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape