Anyone know where to find reasonable Arri 2B/C repairs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReadyTeddy

ReadyTeddy
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

My old standby "crashcam" Arri 35-2B has developed a registration problem. Some film I recently shot with it has a pronounced north/south drift when it is projected.

My local rental house tells me the camera needs an overhaul, but they don't know anyone who services cameras of this vintage. They sold their 2Bs and 2Cs over a decade ago.

I'd like to be able to keep it because it is a great little hand holdable 35mm. I've gotten some wonderful footage with it. But I don't want to spend more than it is worth fixing it.

Can anyone suggest someone who does this work?

#2 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

My old standby "crashcam" Arri 35-2B has developed a registration problem. Some film I recently shot with it has a pronounced north/south drift when it is projected.

My local rental house tells me the camera needs an overhaul, but they don't know anyone who services cameras of this vintage. They sold their 2Bs and 2Cs over a decade ago.

I'd like to be able to keep it because it is a great little hand holdable 35mm. I've gotten some wonderful footage with it. But I don't want to spend more than it is worth fixing it.

Can anyone suggest someone who does this work?

RT,
Make sure it isn't the projector you were using to view the footage.
After that check the claw for slop, particuarly where it enters the perf. for pulldown.
Also make sure the mag. clutches aren't to tight.

Chuck

#3 ReadyTeddy

ReadyTeddy
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:15 PM

Not the projector. That's fine.

My rental house examined the camera and looked it over pretty well before pronouncing the need for major service and an overhaul. And I agree with them. It really does need an overhaul.

#4 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

Well, I am assuming you have already considered Axel Broda. And you have probably already considered Visual Products, but they are not reasonable in my opinion. And there is CinemaTechnic in Florida but again maybe a little spendy. And there is Camera Service Cneter in New York. But have you considered Richard Bennet at Cinema Engineering? http://www.cinemaengineering.com/ I am not sure if is willing to do just service work but you can give him a call and find out, or find out who he would recomend.

#5 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

Not the projector. That's fine.

My rental house examined the camera and looked it over pretty well before pronouncing the need for major service and an overhaul. And I agree with them. It really does need an overhaul.

RT,
What did they say needed to be replaced on your camera?

Chuck

#6 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

[Hi Ready,
I'm the most reasonable guy you'll ever meet. I'm even crazy enough to give free estimates. We're way over here in Maine and been doin this stuff since '68. I even sleep with my bloody gauges !!
Cheers, Bernie

Opal

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera