#1 John Murray

John Murray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

I am looking to get a good 16 mm camera and want to know what is a good one. Hi how does the EUMIG C16 16mm camera compare to cameras like the Bolex H16 Reflex camera or the Krasnogorsk (K-3) 16mm Russian movie camera? Which one is the best choice? Thanks!

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Handsomeness wise I'd go for a 3 turret Bolex with the preset primes focus wound so their red bits are exposed, the grip although not very ergonomic does look lovely too ... A 13x viewfinder has the 'Darth-Vader's' helmet neck thingy look to it around the viewfinder.

Dead sexy, and not found on the 10x finders...

Make sure yer leather and assorted rubbers are factory fresh and you'll be treading the catwalks of Milan in no time ...

extra credit: have all the blanking screws for the accessory mounts in and the counters all on 'ready to go!' zero

#3 John Murray

John Murray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

hahah i really did not mean the way it looks physically. I used the word handsome in place of better quality. So i meant which camera is better overall in filming performance?
thanks

Wow that first post must of sounded so vain!

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:22 AM

hahah i really did not mean the way it looks physically. I used the word handsome in place of better quality. So i meant which camera is better overall in filming performance?
thanks

Wow that first post must of sounded so vain!

Heh, nah not vain to me - I personally have an interest in design, not just from a mechanical perspective but from an aesthetic also - I've spent 3.5 years at Architecture school and am always thinking about production design, and my interest in the aesthetics of cameras is growing now that I've started building them (large formats) -

I love the look of the aforementioned Bolex wind-ups especially the newer RX5's and the macro primes. Although I'd also say the K3 has certain merits if your into that kind of look... maybe its a bit like comparing a Hasselblad to a Mamiya .

As for the workings of them I dont know much at all about the Eumig, which might be saying something - in that the 2nd hand market wont be as large as it is for the other two (or I dont get out enough) - As for the K3 and Bolex, each camp has its own bunch of fans and detractors - I'm in the Bolex camp as I love how modifiable the interface is and the lenses kick ass (macro primes and the 12.5-100 zoom is pretty zippy also) - the K3 is cheaper for the functionality you get which is always a plus - Both I believe are moderately easy to convert to Super16 (I know the bolex is as I've done it myself)

It depends on your budget though and what you want to be doing with them, lens choice is often the factor - tell us some more about how you see yourself using it...

#5 John Murray

John Murray

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanyou Nick! I absolutely appreciate your views! Your from New Zealand?

I will use the camera for music videos, capturing moments in life with loved ones, and short films.

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

I am looking to get a good 16 mm camera and want to know what is a good one. Hi how does the EUMIG C16 16mm camera compare to cameras like the Bolex H16 Reflex camera or the Krasnogorsk (K-3) 16mm Russian movie camera? Which one is the best choice? Thanks!

It's been so long since I've seen anything about the Eumig, I could be confusing it with an 8mm.
But I think the "turret" has a fixed standard lens with the wide and long lenses being afocal attachments that go over the standard.

It is an amateur camera. It is a handsome camera with a stylish 50s design. Would look swell on a shelf next to the Fiesta ware.

The meopta Admira at least has a C-mount.

#7 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thanyou Nick! I absolutely appreciate your views! Your from New Zealand?

I will use the camera for music videos, capturing moments in life with loved ones, and short films.

Yip, NZ - its a rainy summers day, which is good for the lawn

Music Videos - either the bolex or the K3 is good - but like I said the Bolex if you are that way inclined can lead to much more experimentation with an abundance of motors and mod's available if you dont want to build them yourself - The K3 although cheaper (therefore you have money for other things, light meter etc...) isn't as accessible, but many people swear by them also ... So in all honesty just go with whatever floats yer boat, you'll end up liking or regretting it whatever I say ;)

If you choose Bolex via ebay please PM me first and I'll give you a run down of what exactly yer looking at, there are many different versions and set ups that are hard to get to grips with and often the less specced up ones are sold for more than newer models simply because of good ebay marketing ... sometimes blisteringly good packages with aspherons and preset lenses are not even mentioned in the text, you just see them unwittingly exposed in the single photo online by the non-plussed seller - at the opposite end you get the 'super16 ready!' old non-reflex egg beaters (which still do a good job mind) that aren't actually super16, they are super16 'ready' which are often sold with some crappy zoom that will break off the mount with the force of a grade 2 combo hiccup/belch.

anyways... please do contact me re. bolex lenses and wotnot

'Capturing moments of life' huh - well, any camera will do here !

Short films - now heres where it gets interesting, both the K3 and Bolex are "MOS' cameras - in that they are loud buggers, think coffee-grinder on its course setting ... If you want to record sync sound, these cameras need to run with xtal sync motors (more $$$, weight and loudness) and be blimped (use your mothers duvet). Doable but a hassle, but you'd be in the same boat as many many others yet to afford the daily rental or outright purchase of an Arri BL or better... Its all a part of the fun of getting into film.

Edited by Nick Mulder, 06 March 2007 - 03:29 PM.

#8 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

IMHO the sexiest And most handsome 16 ever built is the Arri 16s. It sits in hand like a young firm (insert body part of choice) you know what.

#9 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

IMHO the sexiest And most handsome 16 ever built is the Arri 16s. It sits in hand like a young firm (insert body part of choice) you know what.

The Filmo 75 is not what one could call handsome.
But surely the most ornate.

http://members.chell...nn2/filmo75.jpg

#10 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

The Filmo 75 is not what one could call handsome.
But surely the most ornate.

http://members.chell...nn2/filmo75.jpg

thats damn fine - silver birch for me thanks...

I'm getting a mill soon that will be converted to CNC - I was planning on doing a similar effect on my powerbook - very very nice camera though

#11 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

thats damn fine - silver birch for me thanks...

I'm getting a mill soon that will be converted to CNC - I was planning on doing a similar effect on my powerbook - very very nice camera though

Nick,

That's good because I want the ebony one. I can see it now dangling from my fingers when I don my Victorian garb. lol

Chuck

#12 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

ebony was my second choice - it def gets the thumbs up too ... maybe we can trade off and on ?

who gets the stinker walnut ?

#13 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

ebony was my second choice - it def gets the thumbs up too ... maybe we can trade off and on ?

who gets the stinker walnut ?

Well as Frank Zappa once said;
"Brown shoes don't make it"

#14 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

It sits in hand like a young firm (insert body part of choice)

Ear? :D

I've loved the ARRIFLEX 16S from the moment I first laid eyes on in (a 1970 Blue Peter annual my mum bought for me) from the moment I say that mystery camera I vowed to one day get one, I guess it's kind of ironic that I just blundered into a picture of one at this forum after wanting one desparately for about 18 months.

When I get all my GCSEs (I'll have to take some more again due to bad attendance due to illness) I think I may treat myself. :)

#15 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi M. Buick,

I think you should get one!
And on the plus side they are getting cheaper all the time as video improves. (See Red user site for proof of this)
Only kidding Reddites. I want one too.

Chuck

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Opal