#1 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Ok, so here is my problem that was just driven home by a shoot in Utah...

As some of you know, I do extreme sports stuff like skiing and snowboarding and mountain biking. I am currently using my comunity acces TV stations equipment. They have GL1s that I get to use almost whenever I want. But, there realy kranky about what I am doing with it, even though they take pretty poor care of it themselves (the lenses are always dirty, often I get one without a lens hood or lens cap, etc). This week I was in Utah trying to film a ski segment, but I didnt get much done because of the danger of getting snow in/on the camera. We had PERFECT conditions, good riders and plenty of time, but I was too nervous of ruining the preacious little camera. And now that I look at the footage, I'm a little dissapointed to say the least with the quality these cameras produce. There great for most stuff but I hate the look of standard video so... Anyway, this has made me realise that I need to get my own equipment. I would LOVE to be able to shoot S16mm, but its just to damn expensive for a 15 year old.

As far as a camera goes, I need something that is robust, has high quality, 24p and cine adjustments, preferably is compact (not small nessicarily, just compact), has atleast 16x optical zoom, and has a good deal of audio capibilities. I also need to be able to get a god rain/snow jacket for it. As far as the HD vs SD thing, I realy dont care either way. I know SD would be more hard drive friendly though.

I personaly do not mind buying grey market/without warnty since I realy dont have the funds to afford buying from B&H or another big shot dealer. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that but thats the truth. If I had a better income, I probobly would since they have treated my mom well with all her digetal still needs.

Thanks anyone who wants to respond,

Dory

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

Pff, all you kids and your 24p / hd / 3ccd / digital. I was rockin' VHS-C when I was 15. Really though, a GL1 should be perfect for your purposes. If you can afford a DVX or an XL1 go for it. It might help to get a little 1ccd cam you don't really care about, so you're not nervous about doing extreme things with it. The canon 1ccd's have gotten deplorable, but my ZR65 is bulletproof.

#3 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:59 AM

recently i shot with the dvx100 for the first time, it seems to be a really nice little camera
and in my opinion it's producing far better pictures than the gl1.
it can do 25p too.

#4 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

David-
Lol, I HATE the GL1. I hate it with a pasion.

#5 Stephen Press

Stephen Press
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Zealand

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

How is this for extreme camera contitions then?

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:40 PM

Lol, I HATE the GL1. I hate it with a pasion.

Be a player...not a hater. To be fair, the GL1 was a very fine camera when it was released at least SIX YEARS AGO. 24P in a handheld camera didn't even exist at the time, let alone HDV.

#7 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

Wow, that was really impressive. Props to the XDCam.

#8 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

I think it's going to come down to the same contenders we outlined for you in your other post. Newer models will always outperform older/used models from the same manufacturer, and there are only a few serious manufacturers to choose from.

Shop the websites of Canon, Sony, Panasonic and JVC. You'll quickly narrow it down to one or two models that fit your requirements. The difference between standard def and HD will make a big difference in price though. FWIW, MiniDV can handle fast action better than HDV (HDV uses a longer group-of-pictures compression scheme, creating more blocky artifacts on fast moving subjects).

What are you basing the "16x lens" requirement on? Are there specific focal lengths you need?

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks