18 replies to this topic

#1 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

It seems so often on set I find myself wanting a backlight directly behind a subject, but can seldom hide or frame out the stand and light efficiently. So I'm thinking about building something like the following diagram, (which is not to scale - i'm not a mechanical drafter) and hanging the lightest 1-2k I can find from it, so that I can keep the two c-stands as far apart as possible while staying safe. Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Does something like this already exist for location shoots? I'd imagine it does - if so, what is it called?

Posted Image

#2 chris kempinski

chris kempinski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

It seems so often on set I find myself wanting a backlight directly behind a subject, but can seldom hide or frame out the stand and light efficiently. So I'm thinking about building something like the following diagram, (which is not to scale - i'm not a mechanical drafter) and hanging the lightest 1-2k I can find from it, so that I can keep the two c-stands as far apart as possible while staying safe. Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Does something like this already exist for location shoots? I'd imagine it does - if so, what is it called?

Posted Image

We call it a Goal Post. Others may have another name for it. You need a good sized piece of pipe and something a bit beefier than C-stands. you can get ears that will fit 2" pipe, normally for large 12X or 20X frames, then something like a hi-roller or hi-hi to hold the weight once it's in the air. I like hi-rollers cause the legs have a lower profile and you can move the entire rig somewhat easily.

cheers
chris

#3 Troy Warr

Troy Warr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Other
  • Austin, TX, USA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi David,

To me, it actually looks a lot like a background stand. Since they're meant to hold roll paper, I don't know if they'll support the weight of your light, but if you buy a fairly beefy one (and/or upgrade the horizontal pipe with a stronger one) you might be able to make it work. Roll paper can be pretty heavy, but since it's spread out on a long tube I don't think it would stress the crossbar as much as a light hanging from the center.

Best of luck!

#4 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

Posted Image

I'm sure there are grips here but you should post this over at the Grip Sub Forum anyway because that's where it belongs. In NYC it's called a goal post as well. The main variables with this rig are the length of pipe; the wieght of the unit(s) and the type of pipe (aluminum or steel). I find that these all change from location to location. But like I said you should talk to the grips.

#5 Rob.m.Neilson

Rob.m.Neilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

I'm sure there are grips here but you should post this over at the Grip Sub Forum anyway because that's where it belongs. In NYC it's called a goal post as well. The main variables with this rig are the length of pipe; the wieght of the unit(s) and the type of pipe (aluminum or steel). I find that these all change from location to location. But like I said you should talk to the grips.

Why not take a polecat extend it and mount the ends in clamps on the c-stands? I've done this before also by using extra arms btw two stands in a pinch, but it made me really nervous!

#6 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

This is called a goal post, and there are a few ways to dit.

You can take a 12' piece of speed rail with ears on each side. You then use two high-rollers or combo stands with lollipops in them to support it.

Kevin Zanit

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:54 AM

I actually have something like that I built. I'll snap a few picks and post 'em. B)

#8 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

Why not use a boom?

#9 chris kempinski

chris kempinski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:55 AM

Why not use a boom?

with a 2K?
that is more of a menace arm... and that is a grip thing.
you need a counter weight and cantilever. A goal post is
a better idea.
a menace arm works for kino or lighter lights.

Edited by chris kempinski, 07 March 2007 - 03:56 AM.

#10 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:00 AM

Do you really need a 2K for a backlight? Usually you can get away with something much smaller and lighter in practical locations, like a 650W Omni. A menace arm or even a double-armed C-stand can hold small lights like that.

#11 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:45 AM

If all you need is a small light than you can what you said, but I've needed to goalpost things like a 12k PAR.goal_post.jpg

#12 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:20 AM

Hey Kevin, is that the the shot that cracked the windshield from thermal shock?

#13 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

Yep, good memory!

#14 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I've used a goal post for lighting a green screen as well. Had a couple 1k floods hanging from the crossbar and a pair of nooks on the floor.

It came in handy because I was working in a very cramped classroom/studio environment, and needed to utilize the height of the room to keep the lighting pretty even across the greenscreen.

I also wanted to put a 650 up there for a backlight, but the gaffer who brought the equipment wasn't very secure about the rigging, so I had to settle for a rear quasi-45 degree backlight.

Just be sure your stands have wider legs to support them and that the stands themselves are pretty sturdy. There were a couple scares where we thought the thing was gonna come toppling down as a result of careless PA's scampering around the set.

#15 amish

amish

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like you need a Condor to me. ha, jk.
There's a hundred ways to do everything, polecats, menace arms, goalposts, wall spreaders, babyplates, ballons, whatever.
Most importantly :
IS IT SAFE?

Ever consider hiring a Grip?
We smell funny, but LOVE to rig stuff like this.

#16 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

Amish! Welcome the site sir!

#17 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:47 PM

If all you need is a small light than you can what you said, but I've needed to goalpost things like a 12k PAR.goal_post.jpg

Kevin what was the need for such a large light so close to the car?

#18 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:58 PM

It was a close up shot of the shift knob in the car at 1000fps (a water drop onto it).

#19 Chris Walters

Chris Walters
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

It was a close up shot of the shift knob in the car at 1000fps (a water drop onto it).

I was gonna say kev 12k from 4 ft away seems a bit much lol, but if your going that fast i guess you would have to be a light hog

Opal

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

The Slider