3 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

I am shooting a series of ads this coming week on 35mm for an online trading company. We're going to be shooting quite a bit with computer screens in shot and the company does not want to do it with green screen. We will be using an LCD screen so I'm not worried about roll bars or anything like that, but I am wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips to make the image look its best. i.e., contrast settings or a particular stock that may work better than another? Any comments or advice are much appreciated. Thank you.

Travis

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

LCD's tend to be close to daylight balanced. There should be settings in the monitor's menu to warm up the image a bit, at least a little closer to 3200K, so keep that in mind.

Also, of course, take a reflective reading of the monitor to see how it correlates with your lighting.

#3 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Thanks thats good to know about the computer screen being closer to 5600. We will be shooting with HMI's and daylight, but does anyone know how close to 5600 a computer screen is, or does it depend on the model? Also, any recommendations about a particular brand that has a nicer image than others?
Thanks

Travis

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Thanks thats good to know about the computer screen being closer to 5600. We will be shooting with HMI's and daylight, but does anyone know how close to 5600 a computer screen is, or does it depend on the model? Also, any recommendations about a particular brand that has a nicer image than others?
Thanks

Travis

You'll really have to test it with polaroids or a digital stills camera to find a good balance of exposure/color to the environment. But also keep in mind that the image on an LCD screen can change quality with the viewing angle. What looks "perfect" dead on can look "funky" at an angle...

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine