#1 Stephen Boss

Stephen Boss

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi. I?ve been doing a lot of reading, but Im still quite confused :( . Im looking for the right DV camera to buy for my project, but my budget is very tight. This normally wouldn?t be a problem, except that Im no expert when it comes to cameras specs, etc.

Basically I want to film some documentary style training videos (think "Pumping Iron" type material), which will be used for a website. So I'll be mostly filming indoors. It?s possible that I may want to make a dvd of the video later on, but for now my primary intention is just for web use. However, I plan to market and sell this footage, so I want the video to be of as high a quality as possible.

So Im not sure which camera would be the best for my needs. But like I said, my budget is tight. I?d ideally be looking to spend around $1,000 on a camera. $2,000 would be the absolute limit for me, but I?d prefer to be under $2000 if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

stephen.

since your shooting for the web your footage is going to be so compressed that the overall quality of the actual clip doesn't need to be of a particularly high standard.

How about an older second hand camera. Try a canon XL1, you can probably pick one up for less than $1500 and as far as camcorders go you could definately do worse.

If your entire budget for shooting is only $2000 consider that after you've bought the camera your going to need a tripod, possibly some lights and media. Blasting your entire budget on the camera could cost you later in the production.

if your budget can't afford to stretch I'd use a canon XM1, its a 3ccd camera that won't break the bank.

#3 ReadyTeddy

ReadyTeddy
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

If all you're doing is capturing video for the web or a DVD, there are literally zillions of cameras out there for short money that will do a good job.

Look into a used SONY VX-2000 or PD-150, but they're probably overkill for what you're trying to do.

You can also find deals here and there on the smaller versions of these cameras... the TRV-900 and 950 for about $1,000 or less. Panasonic also released a series of inexpensive 3CCD cameras a few years ago. I think they still make them, but I'm not up on the model numbers and specs.

Best place to get all this information is a website like camcorderinfo.com.

In general, prices on good mini-DV cameras are dropping because people are switching over to HDV.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal