4 replies to this topic

#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

I am armed with a new reel (doesn't contain my last five projects, but I can't keep waiting), new covers printed, business cards, I am looking to branch out more within the corporate realm, low to medium budget commercials and corporates.

Do I cold call companies and set up interviews to show my reel? It has been suggested to me to call up and arrange to have a coffee and leave my reel with them so they don?t have to watch in my presence. Is that a better idea?

Should I discuss the benefits of working with me? Do I discuss that I am better in a contrived shooting style then that of an ENG nature. Do I discuss specifics that I will only work for this rate, or not without this equipment or crew?

Two technical concerns.

1). Some of my footage, especially the earlier stuff, suffers from compression and generation loss. I now know how to help this for future footage, but is this giving a bad impression? Or will they be sharp enough to look beyond that at my compositions, etc?
2). I am also concerned that my reel might not play on some DVD players or computers. Is there a way around it?

Thanks all

#2 Patrick Neary

Patrick Neary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Portland, OR

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

<is this giving a bad impression?>

YES!!!

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

+1 on that.
No one forgives anything in this business. If there is any weak link in your work or presentation, people will not excuse or "understand".
Anything that is not as strong as your strongest work dilutes your strongest work.
It is really hard to let go of things that you sweated over, froze yourself doing or even sold your precious Batman comics to produce and that just don't work. But sometimes you have to lose a leg to save a life.
The harder you are on yourself the better.
Ask yourself if you were the potential client would you feel that your work is the work of someone you would hire.
Be well turned out when you show up to interviews - nails cut, boots polished, etc.
Assume that the attention to detail that you show for yourself and your work will be seen as attention to detail in work for the client.
A DP is a kind of captain in a way and people should have as few doubts as possible.
Of course you will have some doubts about yourself - don't show them!

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hey,

My grandmother used to say, "Never show a fool a half finished picture." She was an artist. The point is, people won't fill in the lines for you. They won't compensate in their minds for generation loss. They will take the presentation as it is. If it looks rough, they will assume that your work is rough. That's just my experience.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

I am armed with a new reel (doesn't contain my last five projects, but I can't keep waiting), new covers printed, business cards, I am looking to branch out more within the corporate realm, low to medium budget commercials and corporates.

Do I cold call companies and set up interviews to show my reel? It has been suggested to me to call up and arrange to have a coffee and leave my reel with them so they don?t have to watch in my presence. Is that a better idea?

Should I discuss the benefits of working with me? Do I discuss that I am better in a contrived shooting style then that of an ENG nature. Do I discuss specifics that I will only work for this rate, or not without this equipment or crew?

Two technical concerns.

1). Some of my footage, especially the earlier stuff, suffers from compression and generation loss. I now know how to help this for future footage, but is this giving a bad impression? Or will they be sharp enough to look beyond that at my compositions, etc?
2). I am also concerned that my reel might not play on some DVD players or computers. Is there a way around it?

Thanks all

Hi,

The best thing I ever did was to only put film work on my reel. At the time film only represented 5% of what I did. Not sure what to do now as I mosty shoot with a Viper.

Stephen

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineLab

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly