• PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

This was discussed in an old thread. Found some specifications on the units:

Wacker LTC 4L Light Tower
LTC 4L Light Tower Features:
? Fully equipped highway-ready trailer offers combination pintle/ball hitch, 13-inch tires, four tie-downs, DOT lighting, and chains.
? Reliable 1800 rpm diesel engine offers glow plug preheat system for long service life and easier cold weather starting. Automatic engine shutdown protects the engine from damage due to low oil pressure and high coolant temperature.
? A lockable, weather protected, powder-coated steel enclosure protects components from the elements. Zinc/dichromate treated mast and lamp mounted bar provide superior corrosion resistance.

LTC 4L Light Tower Complete Specifications (Compare Specifications with Similar Equipment)
Horsepower (HP) 12.1
Engine Type Lombardini Diesel
Number of Lamps 4

Power (Watts) 60 HZ / 6 KW
Fuel Tank Capacity (Gal) 30
Max Tower Height 30 Feet

Lamp Type Metal Halide
Weight 1594 lb
Dimension 63 X 173 X 64 in

#2 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:30 AM

Power (Watts) 60 HZ / 6 KW

Hi JD,

A 6K for under 10 grand, Bargain.
Corrected you have a nice big cheap alternative. Not be too harsh on the pocket for hiring? Have you used them before?

Cheers, James.

#3 Richard Andrewski

Richard Andrewski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Shenzhen, China

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

So it's 6K worth of metal halide lights at the top? Can you get specs on the bulbs--what type of metal halide for instance? CRI, etc. Metal halide covers a wide range of possibilities--some not so suitable for video/film production use. Even high pressure sodium and mercury vapor fall into the HID (High Intensity Discharge) family so you should be sure about that and those put out a monochromatic type light that's not very suitable.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:47 AM

I only posted the information, because in another thread, a few forum members seemed very interested in them. I have no intention of buying one, the generators in them are very loud. The specs are for a unit manufactered by Wacker. As for CRI, that would depend to a degree on what brand bulbs.

#5 Matthew Kubas

Matthew Kubas

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

I only posted the information, because in another thread, a few forum members seemed very interested in them. I have no intention of buying one, the generators in them are very loud. The specs are for a unit manufactered by Wacker. As for CRI, that would depend to a degree on what brand bulbs.

I am planning on using one of these wacker lights this weeked, does anyone know if there is any problem with flickering??
Thanks
Matt

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

I am planning on using one of these wacker lights this weeked, does anyone know if there is any problem with flickering??
Thanks
Matt

I'd expect them to have substantial flicker issues. The generators don't need to be regulated to a precise frequency for their intended application, and probably drift quite a bit. Any kind of AC arc source drops out to black approaching the zero crossings, and re-strikes somewhere in both half cycles.

-- J.S.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly