#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

I realize that to get a true test of how well my meter is doing, I'd have to shoot something and find out.

But does anyone have a non-shooting test to find out if it is indeed reading correctly?

I own a Spectra IV

thanks

:)

#2 Dickson Sorensen

Dickson Sorensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

You need a calibrated light source. If you don't have one handy use the sun, high in the sky on a clear day. It is constant. The problem with shooting a test is that the lab's development, and the f stop calibration on your lens can lead you astray. I always carry three meters that have been professionally calibrated and check them often against each other. Using the sun won't help you check the low end of the meter which you also should do.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:08 AM

The easiest way is to compare you meter to other people's meters everytime you're on a shoot. Otherwise, send it in to get it properly calibrated.

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

The easiest way is to compare you meter to other people's meters everytime you're on a shoot. Otherwise, send it in to get it properly calibrated.

Hey Michael,

I know you are in the US but who did you send your meter to to calibrate it?

S

#5 John Allen

John Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Iowa

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

You guys will think I'm really dumb for saying this, but I'll say it anyway. You could always test it with another light meter, one you know is correct.

#6 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

Spectra meters can be sent to spectra for calibration.

I take my Sekonic to George at Quality Light Metric in Los Angeles once or twice a year to get it calibrated. No website or email that I know of, just a phone number:

323-467-2265

Super, super nice guy. I believe they also service Spectra's. Near the corner of Hollywood & La Brea, if you're in LA, but they also do mail-order work.

As a cheap and dirty method, holding it up next to another meter in an even light source and comparing readings can work, but if your meter isn't right then you've got to constantly factor that into your exposure calculations.

Easier just to get it checked frequently.

Charles Haine

#7 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

George at Quality Light Metric in Los Angeles once or twice a year to get it calibrated. No website or email that I know of, just a phone number:

323-467-2265

Super, super nice guy. I believe they also service Spectra's. Near the corner of Hollywood & La Brea, if you're in LA, but they also do mail-order work.
Charles Haine

I second the George at Quality Light Metric suggestion. He calibrated my Spectra and repaired a couple of ancient Westons for me last year. Fast. Inexpensive. What more can you ask for?

Bruce Taylor

#8 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

I know that comparing your meter to another meter was already mentioned earlier but I would simply add that at some point one really needs to own at least two meters if not three in part for this very purpose. My main meter is the Spectra IV. My back up is the Minolta III. And I also have the Minolta Spot Meter F. When using a meter I would check the two incidents first thing in the morning and then after confirming that they are (almost) identical I put the III away and rely on the IV. One of these days I am going to get the Spectra L-398 so that I have an analog meter as well. Someday...

f

#9 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

Anyone in the UK (London pref) know of a good place to calibrate meter (Sekonic)?

Cheers
S

Willys Widgets

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Tai Audio