3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

I am planning a short in which the actors will be wearing sunglasses. If I do not show the exact brand name in the shots (e.g., close-up with "Ray Ban" staring the audience in the face,) is it still necessary to get permission from the given manufacturer for use in the film...?

I will be making this under an LLC that I am setting up. And I am only planning on submitting it to festivals...not looking to make any profit here.

Any information anyone can give is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:06 AM

I do not think you need to worry about who the sunglass manufacturer is. In fact if the film is interesting a manufacturer might even supply you with sunglasses in exchange for title credits.
After all, advertising and product placement is a growing phenomena.
In all feature films and TV films, every time you see Bruce Willis, for example with corn flakes prominently displayed on his breakfast table you can be sure that the cereal manufacturer paid for it.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

I am planning a short in which the actors will be wearing sunglasses. If I do not show the exact brand name in the shots (e.g., close-up with "Ray Ban" staring the audience in the face,) is it still necessary to get permission from the given manufacturer for use in the film...?

Name/Logo yes, product no. If you had a copywrited charature on them like say Spiderman Ray Bans for example but don't show the Ray Ban Name or logo, Marvel could still sue you. So if you have a Teddy bear in a scene, no problem. If you have a Spiderman doll, problem. Just make sure you lose the name and logo on the Ray Bans B)

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

Name/Logo yes, product no. If you had a copywrited charature on them like say Spiderman Ray Bans for example but don't show the Ray Ban Name or logo, Marvel could still sue you. So if you have a Teddy bear in a scene, no problem. If you have a Spiderman doll, problem. Just make sure you lose the name and logo on the Ray Bans B)

Cool. Thanks.

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider