#1 Donnie Lewis

Donnie Lewis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

I have to light a night scene at this convenient store in a gas station alongside a highway road. It's a dialogue between two characters, with one player behind the counter and one on the other side. It's supposed to be intimate with a bit of crying.

With the odd distance and blocking, how can I express intimacy? I was thinking of bringing out shadows in the faces, simulate the neon lights from the glass pane as kickers. Maybe start on close ups then move on to extremes.

I have access to diva lights, dedo 400's, and arri 575's and redheads. I'll be shooting with a panasonic hvx200.

Oh and it's a night for night.

Thanks

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

I'd try to frame the CU's tight and cut between reverse angles. Get out of the wide shot as soon as the emotions in the scene start to build.

As for lighting, I think I'd go the opposite direction and try to minimize distracting lighting from the environment, and concentrate instead on the lighting you need for the faces and the mood. Sometimes you can do a subtle shift in lighting during the scene that helps guide the viewers attention to the moment and mood you want.

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

As for lighting, I think I'd go the opposite direction and try to minimize distracting lighting from the environment, and concentrate instead on the lighting you need for the faces and the mood. Sometimes you can do a subtle shift in lighting during the scene that helps guide the viewers attention to the moment and mood you want.
[/quote]

... To add to what Michael is saying; Perhaps you could establish a faltering lighting source (like a flickering flourescent) that eventually cuts out as the intimacy of the scene builds so emphasizing the emotional shift/change in the scene? - you could then move your camera in tighter to build the tension...

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc