#1 bdox

bdox
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hello , i am curently working on a video clip, and just finished the keying in motion, now i wanna move too final cut pro to do the last finishing touches, usualy i do lossless, bu then in final cut i have too render everytime i do something, now i was wondering what u guyz do when u move from program 2 program, whats the best method
or the best codec in compressor

thanks
ps: my english might be terrible for sum of you, i am not english i am doing my best 2 communicate with y'all
forgive me for that
peace

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

Lossless codec at native resolution is best for finnishing the film. Try making two clips, one uncompressed, and one with the native codec you are editing with (probably DV) then you can edit without having to render too much, but when you are ready to master the film, you can replace the DV clip with the uncompressed one. You'll have less rendering, but maintain all the quality of uncompressed in the end.

#3 bdox

bdox
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:18 AM

Lossless codec at native resolution is best for finnishing the film. Try making two clips, one uncompressed, and one with the native codec you are editing with (probably DV) then you can edit without having to render too much, but when you are ready to master the film, you can replace the DV clip with the uncompressed one. You'll have less rendering, but maintain all the quality of uncompressed in the end.

so u say i should edit first the dv part and then remove it from my editingline and put the uncompressed one in place & move all the extra i did with the dv one (colour correcting & such) too the uncompressed one and then render the whole thing
&
should i choose dv in the codec option of the export preset in apple motion or should i leave it on animation

Edited by bouba dola, 11 March 2007 - 12:22 AM.

#4 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

1) What format did you shoot on?
2) What program did you use to capture the footage and what were your capture settings?
3) Are you exporting the motion as quicktimes to bring into the FCP timeline?
4) What format are you finishing on?

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

You have the basic Idea, but if your two clips are equal lenght and the first frame is the same, its much easier to unlink the media (make it offline) and then relink the new clip, the the NLE does all the work for you. Then everything you did will apply to the new clip with just a two step proccess, rather than try and replace everything and not screw anything up.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC