#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

...never again will I sign up to be a student filmmaker's DP the night before a morning guerrilla shoot. Especially if he wants to shoot at tourist central in San Francisco.

Today was just a bad experience all 'round. All I ask, is that a director has at least SOME idea of what blocking and framing he wants.

After about a 1/2 hour, I was ready to go AWOL...but I stuck it out for 4 hours.

Lesson learned, mischief managed, time to move on.

:ph34r:

#2 Patrick McGowan

Patrick McGowan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • P.A.
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

Sounds like what happens on a lot of student shoots.

unfortunately

Edited by Patrick McGowan, 11 March 2007 - 11:52 PM.

#3 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:14 AM

> Lesson learned, mischief managed, time to move on.

Today i was a on a low budget music video. Guerilla, no permits with stunties jumping from building to building. Didn't take long to get kicked out of the local university.

Once you get a feel for good quality shoots the lesser ones feel completely inadequate.

#4 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

At 15 years old, I was nearly one of those 'students'. A friend and I knocked up a story and started hiring cast and crew from shootingpeople.org.

We didn't have any solid story line, storyboards, or anything. Let alone any real 'experience'.

Fortunatelly though I had enough sense to pull it off a week before the shoot.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 12 March 2007 - 08:44 AM.

#5 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:01 AM

With no money, equipment, or crew, and they ask you to work faster. But down the track they may decide whether you get that paid gig or not, or, some industry person hears you we're difficult to work with, not from this student, but someone who heard from them.

I think people forget the favour your doing for them, and sometimes that act of generosity is more damaging then saying no straight up. In fact, students could be watching me right now. Must go

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Unless the kids last name is Spielberg you have nothing to fear.

Film students translating their film school experience into a successful career in film is a long shot at best.

Look at the over all math, not individual cases.

R,

#7 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

This kid's still buggin' me now over some issues he had with the production...as if I care anymore.

I'm movin' on :)

#8 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

Not as if anyone cares, but the pending issues were over a 3x3 Tiffen polarizer that was cracked while shooting.

Well, I was held responsible of course, but luckily found an $8 replacement Hoya brand at B&H...so I can now rest at ease and honestly move on

har har

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 15 March 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#9 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

"I want to be a Director" is not the same as BEING a Director.

I blame the film schools for not teaching just how much necessary time goes into pre-production on a professional production.

If I were the Emperor of the Universe I would require that every student Director wannabe had to work with a professional Script Supervisor on a couple of productions - and I'd give the SS a very large paddle and permission to use it at will. No storyboard? Two whacks. No blocking rehearsed? Three whacks. No idea of how scenes should be composed? Four whacks. Rude to crew? Forty whacks and sent back to school for retraining as a short order cook.

#10 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

I had one heated conversation with this "Director", and he tried to threaten me by saying "it was in my best interest" to cooperate and pay for any part of the shoot that was compromised. This just made me laugh...apparently this was his first time shooting 16mm where there had been camera problems, so the fact that the whole thing could shut down over something like this just didn't compute, so he had to aim the blaim at someone (i.e. me). We were shooting with an Arri S, which is a great camera, but does have the tendency to act up from time to time.

btw, he had the nerve to say (referring to himself) "I'm a Director of Photography too!"...and yet, he had no idea how to work a light meter. Had he not found me he would have been forced to use a little digital Gossen meter that he still hadn't figured out.

A word to the wise: Thug tactics aren't the best when you're working with a serious and respected (within certain circles) DP. I now know why so many people dropped out of this project before me.

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery