#1 Phil Gerke

Phil Gerke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here so thanks in advance, been lurking a bit and still have some questions.

I'll be planning a shoot in the near future for some short commercial spots, Director wants to shoot slo mo stuff. So Varicam naturally. Then the idea of ramping the frame rate came up, and I know the Varicam can do this, but I cannot figure how one goes about doing it. Also, how do you adjust or compensate for the exposure differences that will occur when changing the frame rate on the fly? If we are ramping up shouldn't there be an iris or shutter speed adjustment to be made in order to maintain the same exposure? Or, because the camera is alway operating at 60fps do I really even need to worry?

My other question is concerning editing in AVID. Now I am not sure, yet, which system this project will post on, but should I be concerned about the overcranked footage? I know there is a frame rate converter for FCP but what about AVID? I would hate to have to rent the hardware converter as its a bit exspensive. Or is AVID hip to the flagged footage and knows what to do?

Hopefully my questions make sense. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Phil

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

Ramping: http://www.jkor.com/...eedramping.html

Not sure how Avid handles it. Chances are you might use a different technique in post to deal with the ramp, compared to contstant frame rates. Check with your editor.

#3 Phil Gerke

Phil Gerke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Ramping: http://www.jkor.com/...eedramping.html

Not sure how Avid handles it. Chances are you might use a different technique in post to deal with the ramp, compared to contstant frame rates. Check with your editor.

Great link, thanks a lot. I'll be speaking with the post house soon, I have a feeling it may be a bit of a pain. We'll see.

Thanks again.

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineTape

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks