Nick

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:05 AM

Hey guys;

Totally new around here, but not really to photography...

See, I have this problem. I'm 18, burning through a year of worthless gen-ed classes at my college at home to sort of give myself some extra time to really think about what I want to go into for a living. I've been a photographer ever since I was sort of 'inspired' by a friend of mine in high school. I picked up a Konica Minolta Z2, got it stolen in NYC, and then picked up a Nikon D50 and shot ever since. I've been a huge; HUGE fan of movies since I can remember, and basically idolized people like Lucas and Speilberg.

Anyway to the point I'm trying to make, I feel I have a very artistic talent in terms of shooting things from my times photographing things. Through watching movies day in and day out, I feel like I picked up on a style, clearly recognized in my photo shoots, but I'm worried if I go into cinematography, the technical aspects and tricks I use won't trade over, like ISO speeds and exposure corrections in post, etc.

How different is, and I don't like the word "operating", because you're more so "manipulating", a film camera from using a digital SLR camera?

Also, I really want to get out and start shooting some shorts and low budget stuff around Detroit with writer and director I know from various colleges around here, but I'm at a loss for a good basic cheap digital camera to get. I don't really want to get into film because frankly I don't have the money or processing studio to edit the stuff... unless there's a place I can go to get the film put straight to digital?

I dunno, toss me some thoughts;

Warmest-
Nick

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:12 AM

I'm a little concerned that so many people now joining as "students" can't seem to read the first instructions on the registration page regarding using a first and last name as their User / Display Name. Please go the My Controls and edit your Display Name.

There are a lot of basic photography skills that transfer over to cinematography. You also have to learn moviemaking techniques in general though even to be a cinematographer. You can do that with any basic motion picture camera, digital or film. Maybe you can borrow some friend's video or Super-8 film camera.

Yes, you can shoot movie film and get it transferred to video at a telecine facility, but it can be expensive.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

CineTape

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport