Nemanja N. Jovanov

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hi everyone,

During 2005/06 i shoot a feature with AG DVX100A, and printed it on ARRILASER and I was very pleased with the results.
Following advices on camera settings (for transfer to film) I set shutter speed to default 25p 1/50s (I am in PAL zone). Didnt had a chance to change shutter speed (cause I didnt have problems with CRT monitors ect)

Now I am in preps for a new feature, also planing to shoot with this camera. Film is a false documentary and will eventualy requre diferent camera style (hadheld, fast movement, narrow FOV ect.). Also there is a scene with standard CRT computer monitors with wich I am anticipating flicker problems. I know that camera has CLEAR SYNC shutter mode, but I am wondering will there be any undesired effects during transfer?

Also, in favour of camera style, I am thinking of using slower shutter speed (1/25s) in some scenes, for more motion blur and ?softer? movement, and also to avoid STROBE effect!

If anyone have some expirience with results during FILM PRINT, and with diferent shutter speeds, any advice would help.

Thanks,

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

As long as your shutter speed is not longer than the capture rate (some camera allow exposure times that are longer than the frame/field rate should allow, meaning that they are slowing down the capture rate and then repeating fields, etc. to get the speed back to normal), then there should be no affect on your film-out, just an affect on the amount of motion blur per frame.

What I mean by an impossibly longer exposure time would be a camera set to 25P but having a shutter speed of 1/12th of a second, or 1/2 of a second. Obviously if a camera is taking a picture 25 times per second, you can't have an exposure time per frame longer than 1/25th of a second.

The only problem with 25P at 1/25th of a second is the non-film-like amount of blur, which gets sort of smeary and almost interlaced-scan looking. If there is some inbetween setting like 1/32, you might be happier.

#3 Nemanja N. Jovanov

Nemanja N. Jovanov

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Mr. Mullen.

Whole shutter speed/frame rate thing is now clear to me.
Maybe I can use SYNCHRO SCAN (AG DVX100A) option, and set shutter speed to 1/40 s or so...just to maintain close continuity of motion blur with sceens shoot using 1/50 s?

Oh and one more thing. While I am in DESIRED range (not shorter exposure than fiming rate!), decimal shutter values ex. 1/40.3 s would not act diferently than round values ex. 1/40 s ???? I am bothered whit this because of potential flicker problems with older computer monitors.

Thanks very much.

regards,

Nemanja Jovanov

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc