Juan Pablo Chapela
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hello everybody!

I've been thinking about buying a digibeta camera for a long time. But as time passes I'm becoming doubtful if it is the right format to go for. I work in Spain mainly for british broadcasters. As all of you know, digibeta is a well established format in the UK, not so in Spain (satellite feed installations lack digibeta VTR's, as well as very few post facilities with digibeta).

Is it a wise idea to buy a digibeta?

How long is the format going to stay in british TV (could also apply to any other country)?

Is it quicky going to be replaced by HD? Which HD (DVCpro- HD, HDCAM, XDCAM-HD)?

I personally think the digibeta has a lot of years of service to come (the arrival of the 970 makes me think so), but I don't live in the UK nor the USA, I'm in Spain, so I could be wrong.

About the costs of buying a used 790 or a new HDX-900? Theres isn' that much of a difference... but what would I use most? what are the clients going to be asking in the future?

It be great to get some input from you guys, especially our colleagues in the UK...

Thank you..

Juan Pablo Chapela

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

There are certainly productions being shot on Digibeta. In the end it really depends on what type of work you do; quite a lot of factual programmes are now being shot on DVCam rather than Digibeta. However, I can't see much SD production for the BBC beyond 2010-12, given their past history, once the BBC goes over they'll want everything on HD.

Currently the HDW 750 seems to be used quite a lot at the moment for high end TV productions and the Varicam also being used because of the variable frame rates.

The BBC doesn't seem to have decided on the HD camera for other productions - I heard they were testing the Infinity.

Unless you got a lot of Digibeta current work, which will pay off the camera in say 18 months or less, so as to get a good profit from it, I'd tend hold off.

Also, there are a number of new HD cameras coming out this year and you might want to see how things settle in that regard.

#3 Juan Pablo Chapela

Juan Pablo Chapela
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:01 AM

In the end it really depends on what type of work you do;

Unless you got a lot of Digibeta current work, which will pay off the camera in say 18 months or less, so as to get a good profit from it, I'd tend hold off.

If it was up to me I'd buy a 750 and forget about the whole format thing. But you know how this thing goes, if the client wants digibeta you'll have to give him digibeta. I'm sure we will have at least 3-5 years more of high end SD (dvcpro - digibeta), but is it still worth making the investment?

I don't work on high end tv series, or shows. What I do mostly is sports related shows, and with my numbers I'd be able to pay it in 24 months. The other option is renting one per month.

Anyway... how long do you think the market is going to keep the format alive?

Cheers,

J.P.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

If you're doing sports and they want mostly Digibeta I'd tend towards a low hours used DVW790. You should check on how the numbers add up compared to renting (you might get a good rental deal), because the camera mightn't have that high a resale value when you come to sell it in a few years.

Also do other clients want to shoot Digibeta rather than just one? Just one increases the risk factor. I'd say 24 months is marginal given how things are going with HD, an 18 month pay back would be better.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 15 March 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#5 Juan Pablo Chapela

Juan Pablo Chapela
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Also do other clients want to shoot Digibeta rather than just one? Just one increases the risk factor. I'd say 24 months is marginal given how things are going with HD, an 18 month pay back would be better.

Practically all the clients I work for shoot Digibeta... ocasionally HD... but not much. I think it is still a good investment. I thought this year some of the british broadcasters would like to go HD for some things, but that hasn't been the case.

Why would Sony launch a new Digibeta with progressive capabilities if they thought the format wasn't alive and kicking? That has me thinking.

Bryan... do you know if in order to playback progressive material shot with the 970 you need a new VTR or what?

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5069 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

Why would Sony launch a new Digibeta with progressive capabilities if they thought the format wasn't alive and kicking? That has me thinking.

Bryan... do you know if in order to playback progressive material shot with the 970 you need a new VTR or what?

I'd imagine that the later VTR's should be able to handle progressive, but best check with Sony because we had problems with DVPRO VTRs playing progressive material shot on a SDX 900 - you needed a higher end model.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc