3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

I've come across this stock on the Fujifilm motion picture webpage for their Japanese market: http://fujifilm.jp/b...l100/index.html

A rough translation provided by Google is as follows:

This film, with the daylight type color negative film of exposure index 100, does the color masking automatically, the coloration coupler is built in.
Because it is the daylight type color negative film of the optimum to outside photographing, it not to be necessary to use the conversion filter for color temperature, because it can decrease also the ND filter, being natural, photographing is possible with bright finder range of vision. In addition, it is ideal even in photographing the bright interior where plain air you insert.
This film has sharpness it is high, granularity and the rich gradation which are superior, coupled with natural color reappearance, being sharp, clearing can obtain the picture.
Furthermore, the processing being completed film is designed in order the long term picture discoloration not to do.
????

Product name: FL-100

35mm Type 8590
16mm Type 8690

More (auto-translated) specs can be found here: http://translate.goo...Flanguage_tools

Okay, so it's a 100D ECN2 color negative film, that we know. With a "zero" generation (last number of the stock code). And it's still available? I'm really scratching my head - so does this predate both the "1" and "2" (Super-F) families? If so, isn't aren't the already-nearly-obsolete Super-F 125T (which would be ASA 80 with an 85 filter) and Super-F 64D more than enough? To say nothing of Eterna 250D.

Wait - is there any chance that the L in FL stands for low-con?

Confused...

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Well, the "90" suffix suggests it was an early version of the "92" 500D Reala stock, but I think it probably is a special order only stock, a motion picture version of their consumer Superia Reala 100D still camera stock:

http://www.fujifilmu...uperiaReala.jsp

Fuji's websites are horribly out of date generally...

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

This is the word I got by private email from someone at Fuji:

The film stock in question is a special order stock that is used with
16mm high-speed cameras. Golf instructors in Japan use the stock to
breakdown their students' golf swings in slo-mo.

This stock is not considered a stock for professionals, because the golf
instructors only needed a basic cheap daylight stock. So Fujifilm cut a
lot of corners to accommodate the request.

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Gee, hard to believe it's been almost four years now since early 2007.

Not too late for a funny comment, though, right? I came upon this stock myself today; I guess it's analogous to Kodak keeping the VNF line around in the U.S. Our military spent probably millions of dollars ordering this film, along with auto crash testers, so they could shoot cars crashing, missiles detonating, rockets launching in slo-mo.

The Japanese use it for. . . GOLF?!?! Those must be some damned expensive lessons getting a slo-mo analysis of your swing. I know the USAF was also getting, think it was Ektapress 1,000 or 1600 35mm C-41 negative made for motion picture analysis too, custom order.

Anyway, I guess the slo-mo golf market is still alive. It's still available. My search for a source of their B&W negative film, in 16mm, continues to run into dead ends though. Maybe I should lie and I say I want to shoot retro '40s golf analysis :-)

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies