#1 Sarah O Donnell

Sarah O Donnell

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi, I'm hoping to find out what type of mic is best for recording the noises in a room.
For example, I need to record the sound of footsteps coming from people walking around in teh apartment upstairs, the sound of people washing dishes next door etc. The walls of the building are extremely thin, so these sounds are all very audible from inside my studio, but i'm not sure what type of mic would be best to catpture them.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks,

Sarah

#2 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hi, I'm hoping to find out what type of mic is best for recording the noises in a room.
For example, I need to record the sound of footsteps coming from people walking around in teh apartment upstairs, the sound of people washing dishes next door etc. The walls of the building are extremely thin, so these sounds are all very audible from inside my studio, but i'm not sure what type of mic would be best to catpture them.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks,

Sarah

The answer to that question is _ANY_.

Certain sounds that you head on an FX track of a movie (be it folley or fx) are recorded with different setups.

Most do not sound like they do on the folley/fx at the moment of original capture.

As in footsteps are just recorded and then a EQ and a Surround 5.1 Reveb effects/panner are used in conjunction to make it seem like the footsteps are in the background of the soundstage and are muffled, hence are upstairs. The EQ does the muffling as only certain freqencies will travel throught the floor.

Busy streets and ambient trails of dialogue, are usually multi layer tracks. With busses and cars going by etc.. it's never just one or two microphones.

If you need the sound of people washing dishes next door, just record yourself washing dishes. Then use a parametric eq and reverb to make it sound like it's next door. You can use any stereo mic at close range for that, de-pop and de-noise it before applying the effects.

You can use a cheap radio shack mic to do that.

If you really must capture remote sounds, than use a shotgun mic with a little sattelite dish attachment, but this is not going to sound good for FX/Foley.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC