9 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis Bouvier

Curtis Bouvier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for quite some time, maybe I am missing something, but how is this camera worth $6000?

it's old and noisy, and to say the least it doesn't even come with a lense or anything really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

and theres also a High speed SRII going for $40,000.00, thats high speed tho, might be nice.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for quite some time, maybe I am missing something, but how is this camera worth $6000?

it's old and noisy, and to say the least it doesn't even come with a lense or anything really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi,

To convert that camera to S16 & Pl mount will probably cost that. Don't know how good their conversion is. Bruce in Australia also converts them.

Van Diemen in the UK used to do them, but there were quality issues.

Stephen

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

One thing to watch out for on eBay is trash being dumped overseas. There are some real A**Holes out there who will list junk gear in the US from the EU, and I don't doubt in the least that there are US sellers also trying to dump bad gear overseas. I guess they're willing to take a hit on feedback but they don't want you showing up on their doorstep. They can always get a new seller's account if they get too bad a feedback rating but they're insulated by an ocean or two from an irate buyer showing up in person. I've bought a "like new" Arri head that had a crack in casting where the pan handle went in, tripods that weren't 150mm bowl as represented, etc. I just don't buy from overseas anymore unless it's a seller I've had good experience with like J. L. Beek in South Africa.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

The camera in the auction you are referring to is one that Duall in New York converted to Super 16 with a PL mount. They have been trying to sell it for six months or more. Originally asking $8000 for it.

Not quite sure there is a market for a Super 16 Arriflex 16S, even though I love the little cameras, especially since with a little creativity you can get 16:9 out of the stock Arriflex 16S, which you can pick up on eBay for about $1200. I don't think there's much of a market for ones priced at $6000.

-Tim

#5 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

I bought a lot of film equipment overseas, from the U.S., South Africa, New Zealand and Japan and never had any trouble. Just luck maybe, but it always pays to look at feedback and dates of eBay registration. The only negative experience was with a guy from Latvia, but even he delivered an item in excellent condition as promised - just with the wrong lens mount. He obviously didn't know it and was reluctant to pay back the money - but he did, after some cursing and name calling. But sometimes an offer is too good to be true, like some low priced Round Front Lomo Anamorphics. I was tempted a few times - and relieved when I heard that it was a scam with stolen pictures. :rolleyes:

#6 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

Had I a spare 6 grand around I'd go for it. The price isn't outrageous, it is a very rare bird.

A properly converted S16/PL Mounted ARRI S would be a beautiful thing.

Small, lightweight, durable... simple construction etc..

It would make a great compliment to any S16 camera package as a B or C camera.

Or for someone who shoots stock footage....

#7 Dennis Kisilyov

Dennis Kisilyov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

For 6k you can get a new A-Cam from Ikonoskop. NEW. non-reflext. but New.

My 2 cents.

#8 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

Well it's probably not right for an A-camera, so unless you're already shooting s16 it's probably not the camera for you...these cameras are (almost) always arri standard mount; the PL mount means you can use today's best glass. Super-16 means larger image area and widescreen. Both are costly and valuable upgrades, which would make this camera very useful on a s16 project.

#9 Dory Breaux DP

Dory Breaux DP
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Fort Bragg, CA

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

and theres also a High speed SRII going for $40,000.00, thats high speed tho, might be nice.

Jeez I can practicaly buy a house in Pagosa Springs for that much...

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

For 6k you can get a new A-Cam from Ikonoskop. NEW. non-reflext. but New.

My 2 cents.

Hi,

But it's not PL mount, so fairly useless unless you are just after a POV camera IMO.

Stephen

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post