Michael Rizzi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hello,

I have to achieve a certain shot for an upcoming commercial. The shot is a slow push in from wide (not zoom) into a closeup of a person driving a car (the car will be moving) and then in closeup, the driver changes lanes while camera stays put and essentially trucks right (or left) and leaves the car (magically going through the side of the car (think Children of Men). We need to see the entire car driving at the head of the shot and then go through the windshield into the interior of the car and then out of the side of the car at the end. I was thinking...telescoping arm on shotmaker or something of the sort. I have limited experience with car mounted cranes and was hoping for some links or advice. Also, I will be talking to the VFX guys about this too, but the going through the windshield and side of car effects will take some work too I would imagine. I figure we remove the windshield for the push in, but the wind blowing in the actor's face would ruin our the gag. Or do we try motion control and split the shot into 3 shots? If anyone has done something like this I would love to get some advice.

Thanks,

Rizzi

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

I think this is a VFX question really, to figure what elements you need to make the smoothest and most convincing transition. To me it sounds like 4 different elements: A plate of the real car (moving), a clean background plate (moving, no car), the driver & car interior against greenscreen, and a CGI car to tie them all together. The car is moving so it will have active reflections :(

The DVD for What Lies Beneath has some good extras that show how they did similar effects for Michelle Pfeiffer running away in the Volvo.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Opal

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine