#1 Christopher Schneider

Christopher Schneider
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

Hi all, if this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it.

OK, on to my dilema. I'm shooting a silent 16mm short next weekend and I just got a call that I hate. The camera package I was promised by a private owner has become unavailable. Not uncommon since it was going to be loaned to me for free. So I need to com up with a replacement for cheap as free, or at least cheap. I'll take anything that works, an ARRI S(B), Aaton, whatever, just need something to put the film in that's not a wind up (long takes are happening making spring driven cameras out). Any advice?

While this isn't life or death, I've become intensely fond of the project and would love to see this through, I'm getting to experiment in areas I've not gotten to before, from mixing stocks, to using stockings as filters. The director and I are funding it ourselves and it will be a two day shoot in Notting Hill.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

#2 Christopher Schneider

Christopher Schneider
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:23 PM

Just a little update,

Got my camera problem solved, I'm a go for Sat and Sunday. I've got my lighting package, a great gaffer, and my film stock. All I need now is to make this film happen, and hopefully have a little sun over the weekend.

I'm completely jazzed about making this happen, and all for 300 quid. Being young and crazy with a camera package. I'll post some stills of the production.

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

Just a little update,

Got my camera problem solved, I'm a go for Sat and Sunday. I've got my lighting package, a great gaffer, and my film stock. All I need now is to make this film happen, and hopefully have a little sun over the weekend.

I'm completely jazzed about making this happen, and all for 300 quid. Being young and crazy with a camera package. I'll post some stills of the production.

Hey man, where are you shooting?

I'm from Reading.

#4 Christopher Schneider

Christopher Schneider
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:27 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you Jaimie,

It was a 3-5 minute 16mm silent short to be cut as a music video film, kinda along the lines of the "Plans" DVD that Death Cab for Cutie put together.

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

> I'm from Reading.

So what are you doing in LA, other than "making a living?"

Phil

#6 John Allardice

John Allardice
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

> I'm from Reading.

So what are you doing in LA, other than "making a living?"

Phil

Phil,
Really, just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa and get yer ass over here, then if you still cant make a go of it, at least you'll stop bending our ears :)

J

Edited by John Allardice, 30 March 2007 - 04:05 PM.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:52 PM

> just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa

Quite.

Unfortunately while I am clearly very clever, I don't have very many formal expressions of that fact, so it's not as easy as all that...

Recent research by an obsessive family member has revealed that my family has been low-level farm labourers in the southeast UK since before the Magna Carta was written, so I have about as many ways out as... uh... someone with his feet set in a block of concrete.

Phil

#8 John Allardice

John Allardice
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

> just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa

Quite.

Unfortunately while I am clearly very clever, I don't have very many formal expressions of that fact, so it's not as easy as all that...

Recent research by an obsessive family member has revealed that my family has been low-level farm labourers in the southeast UK since before the Magna Carta was written, so I have about as many ways out as... uh... someone with his feet set in a block of concrete.

Phil

actually, although it's not highly publicised, you don't need a degree to get an H1-b visa... Just three years work experience per year you would have been studying, and they count A-levels as a year of college.
so you'd only need 9 years work experience.

Have you got that?

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

I do have a degree, but it's from a completely forgettable ex-poly.

No; the problem is finding someone to employ my rather eclectic mix of skills... and of course, if you're not -in- the US, you can't exactly hunt for work there.

Phil

#10 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

I do have a degree, but it's from a completely forgettable ex-poly.

No; the problem is finding someone to employ my rather eclectic mix of skills... and of course, if you're not -in- the US, you can't exactly hunt for work there.

Phil

The question is, is the US ready for Phil Rhodes?

;)

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

The Slider

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies